Male vs female Benghai Cardinal?

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know how to tell the difference between a male and female benghai cardinal? To shoal, do I need one male and the rest females or is a mix ok?

Thanks!

S_OS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very similar gender wise. There are ways to get pairs, however, I think the easiest and most surefire way would be to buy a pair from divers den on live aquaria, they usually have a pair or two every other week.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youll only be able to have 1 pair of this cardinal. Easiest is to buy an already known pair or buy a few and return the rest once theyve paired off. And its said the males have longer streamers on the first dorsal fin but ive never noticed a difference.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only ever been able to tell once they pair off and they males carry the eggs. I initially bought four, figuring the odds of them all being either male or female were very low (below 10%). Sure enough, two paired off and I gave the others away.

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Males will tend to have a longer second dorsal fin, more asymmetrical "bulldog" looking jaw and broader abdominal fins. But that's not true 100% of the time so I wouldn't rely on that to sex them. As said before, the easiest way to get a pair is to buy a group and let them pair up then remove the rest. As the pair will not tolerate the presence of any other Banggais. But there is another method where you count the vents that are between their abdominal and anal fins. Males have two vents and females have one.

Male:
banggai-1-jpg.671567

Male:
image_full

Female:
banggai-2-jpg.671568

Female:
image_full

Here is an article talking about it:
https://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/how-to-determine-the-sex-of-banggai-cardinalfish

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back