Male Red Lyertail Anthers OR Male Red Yellow Breasted Anthers?

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I recently lost one of my female lyertail anthias. I currently have two blue eyed females in my tank and looking to add two more. Although I did see the males prices were not much more. I'm on Petco's website and see two different male lyertail anthias. Could someone tell me the difference? Thanks!

Red Lyertail:

Screenshot 2024-03-03 at 4.43.35 PM.png

Red Yellow Breasted:

Screenshot 2024-03-03 at 4.43.46 PM.png

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s the location where they are collected. The reds are from the Indo-Pacific and the gold sided, which I have and personally think they are prettier…even the females/ Juvi are brighter, are from the Indian Ocean(Maldives) and Africa.

OP
OP
shawnriv

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s the location where they are collected. The reds are from the Indo-Pacific and the gold sided, which I have and personally think they are prettier…even the females/ Juvi are brighter, are from the Indian Ocean(Maldives) and Africa.
Awesome, glad to hear. So I’m sorry, which do you prefer? The red or red yellow? And did you add a male to an already mix of females? Thx!

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got four of the gold sided as juveniles and the largest turned male..very cool to watch the transition….
With already established females the added female should be about the same size, but the new male should be larger than them or it may revert back and loss that nice coloration. It happened to me.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I recently lost one of my female lyertail anthias. I currently have two blue eyed females in my tank and looking to add two more. Although I did see the males prices were not much more. I'm on Petco's website and see two different male lyertail anthias. Could someone tell me the difference? Thanks!

Red Lyertail:

Screenshot 2024-03-03 at 4.43.35 PM.png

Red Yellow Breasted:

Screenshot 2024-03-03 at 4.43.46 PM.png
Id add a group of females instead of males - chances are one of your females is going to transition or may be starting the transition already so adding a male is a bad idea.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They turn male very quickly, several weeks if well fed. I would not buy male. Your tank may already have the female turning and will cause problem. If the smallest one of your anthias died, you don't feed enough.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learn something new everyday!

I did not know there was a difference in color from where they were collected. I often times thought my male/female was just stuck halfway and did not turn into a full fledged male. Now I know it's just a yellow sided male that was collected in the Indian Ocean/Africa.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back