Can I fit more tangs?

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have waterbox 190.5 60x25x22"

This my current stock I would like to have. (I do not have any of this stock now except clowns in separate AIO tank)

Clownfish
Clownfish
Royal Gramma
Purple Firefish
Black Leopard Wrasse
Swallowtail tiger angel fish
Dispar Anthia (male)
Dispar Anthia (female)
Dispar Anthia (female)
Dispar Anthia (female)
Dispar Anthia (female)
Dispar Anthia (female)
Dispar Anthia (female)
Blue/Green Mandarin
Maxima clam
Yellow tang
Convict tang
Purple tang

Would adding two more tangs be too much? This would be the only tank long term
in specific ones Im looking at are:

Whitecheek tang
White tail Bristle tooth tang

I feel these tangs are too large in conjunction with this size tank and listed stock.

Thoughts?

Stealthreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristletooth likely fine

Asking for trouble with whitecheek and the convict.
The yellow and the purple are also going to fight.

Honestly, imo, a couple more of the zebrasoma body style and bristletooth are your only real options.

only 2 zebrasoma is a bad idea

2020 Worst Year

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i rehomed my powder blue tang that i had in my 4 foot tank to a 500 gallon tank in my 4 foot she was not aggressive use to swim about all over now in the 500 gallon tank she hides wont swim around and is starting to become aggressive do with this info as you please but she was happier in my 4 foot swimming around not being aggressive than the 500 gallon she is currently in now

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i rehomed my powder blue tang that i had in my 4 foot tank to a 500 gallon tank in my 4 foot she was not aggressive use to swim about all over now in the 500 gallon tank she hides wont swim around and is starting to become aggressive do with this info as you please but she was happier in my 4 foot swimming around not being aggressive than the 500 gallon she is currently in now
So she is acting like a normal tang now instead of like shamu in a swimming pool.

OP
OP
tomtheturkey

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is 136 Gallon display. I can understand adding the extra tangs is too much but with just the three in there now how is 5 foot not enough?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is 136 Gallon display. I can understand adding the extra tangs is too much but with just the three in there now how is 5 foot not enough?
136g is 100g with rocks. It's not necessarily the volume but more the dimensions that work better for fish like tangs. Longer versus more square shaped. They swim 150 feet of reef territory in the ocean back and forth. People will post on here about their success with multiple tangs in undersized tanks but I believe far more fail then succeed but they don't post their failures.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tangs swim they only hide at night so no not like a normal tang
Assuming the environment is proper, is the fish eating, grazing algae? Do you have other fish there showing aggression? It is common for young blue tangs to hide in rocks in a new tank too until they feel safe. So basically normal behavior from a fish.

Last edited:

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

The 'tang police' has a federally established formula that takes fish's girth and length, the measurement of the tank and weather pattern to calculate turning radius based off saltwater salinity and tide charts in your tank. There is very small room for error and any tank below six feet of length regardless of width/depth may possibly yield a citation and public forum shaming.

Things get even more interesting when tank is measured in metric units and is more than 6" from the back wall.

2020 Worst Year

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming the environment is proper, is the fish eating, grazing algae? Do you have other fish there showing aggression? It is common for young blue tangs to hide in rocks in a new tank too until they feel safe. So basically normal behavior from a fish.
not a blue tang its a powder blue she was showing no aggression in my tank she is showing aggression in the 500 gallon though think she is eating not sure he just told me she was hiding and she beat his tang up the 1 time she came out

OP
OP
tomtheturkey

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 'tang police' has a federally established formula that takes fish's girth and length, the measurement of the tank and weather pattern to calculate turning radius based off saltwater salinity and tide charts in your tank. There is very small room for error and any tank below six feet of length regardless of width/depth may possibly yield a citation and public forum shaming.

Things get even more interesting when tank is measured in metric units and is more than 6" from the back wall.
Yeah so I can see... Rule of thirds with the highest point of rock being about 12 in tall in scape. I plan to have plenty of swim room in general. But like I said these 5 tangs too much most likely lol. but with just three yeah idk BUT I tend to go back in forth with my stock anyway. why I havent gotten anymore fish yet...

OP
OP
tomtheturkey

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about these changes

I would like to have a yellowish fish in there but took out Yellow tang Angelfish gramma and firefish. I really want the purple. I know he is a known issue to an extent but I like a challenge.

Clownfish
Clownfish
Black Leopard Wrasse
Dispar Anthia (male)
Dispar Anthia (female)
Dispar Anthia (female)
Dispar Anthia (female)
Dispar Anthia (female)
Dispar Anthia (female)
Dispar Anthia (female)
Blue/Green Mandarin
Maxima clam
white tail Bristletooth tang
Convict tang
Purple tang

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about these changes

I would like to have a yellowish fish in there but took out Yellow tang Angelfish gramma and firefish. I really want the purple. I know he is a known issue to an extent but I like a challenge.

Clownfish
Clownfish
Black Leopard Wrasse
Dispar Anthia (male)
Dispar Anthia (female)
Dispar Anthia (female)
Dispar Anthia (female)
Dispar Anthia (female)
Dispar Anthia (female)
Dispar Anthia (female)
Blue/Green Mandarin
Maxima clam
white tail Bristletooth tang
Convict tang
Purple tang
If you want a nice yellow fish get a yellow coris wrasse. They are utilitarian fish that eat pests in your tank.

Attachments

• 20220629_124055.jpg
    20220629_124055.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 36

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back