Mallorie and Matt's 30 Gallon nano build

mallorieGgator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am going to start this build thread and it's going to be a slow process. I don't have any equipment yet so bare with me as I buy things and slowly put this tank together.
Tank:
Deep Blue 30 gallon 24x24x12 RR mini

Sump:
RS-75 Eshopps Sump

Skimmer:
Bubble-Magus NAC3.5

Bio-pellet reactor:
JNS Alpha-1

Powerhead:
MP10

Lights:
ATI Dimmable 24" T5 4 bulb fixture

Bulbs:
2 ATI blue plus
1 ATI Coral Plus
1 ATI True actinic

Substrate:
Bare Bottom- star board

Return Pump:
Not sure yet on what to do here

ATO:
5 Gallon reservoir for ATO
JBJ ATO Water Level Controller

I'll add pictures as I buy items. This is going to take me awhile to buy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mallorieGgator

mallorieGgator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'll be editing my post to add stuff to it as I remember. :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Coolio can't wait!

OP
OP
mallorieGgator

mallorieGgator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unsure on the fish front. I'll likely have your standard clown pair except I'm going to go fancy and get something cool. I'm looking at gumdrop coral crouchers. They are really awesome and would be interesting in a small tank. However, I heard they are very secretive and rarely seen. Also looking at firefish. I am limited because I don't have a sandbed so no small wrasses or anything like sand gobies.

spacetime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4 bulb 24w" T5 fixture and use ATI bulbs. I have tried numerous bulb configs with Coral Plus, Blue+ Aquablue Special, and Purple Plus and Geiseman's Pure Actinic. I have had the most success and have been pleased with the look of 3 Blue+ and 1 Purple Plus.

I've tried the Geise actinic, 2 Blue plus and a Coral Plus. I feel the actinic did not have enough punch and I have half the footprint of your tank. I also thought the actinic looked bad paired with a B+ and used it in a Day light slot. Ultimately the tank was too "red" for my tastes.

I've tried a 2x BP Coral Plus and Purple Plus which was too white, but an improvement. But I ultimately dusted off about a 9 mo. old Blue Plus to get the third one into the fixture to pair with the purple plus and haven't looked back.

If your ordering bulbs I would order at least 3 Blue+ and a few singles if you can spare the cash. Sub in whatever 4th bulb that gives you the look you like. Its my understanding these Coral Plus, purple plus and actinic tend to do better in a 6+ bulb config as a 1 of (usually with at least 3 Blue +). Also you might want to look into a bigger fixture for your footprint, I know other shallow deep blue cubes have used a 6 bulb and still used LED supplements. 4 might not be enough for SPS.

Good luck hope my advice helps save you a few bucks.

OP
OP
mallorieGgator

mallorieGgator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gone with this combo before and I liked it a lot.

OP
OP
mallorieGgator

mallorieGgator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may try to build the stand myself. Does anyone know how to build one?

Back