Mame Skimmer (Nano Tank), first skimmer need help ;(

SilentSloth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I am pretty new to reefing just got my first tank up January 10th. I decided to go with a mame skimmer since I have an "all in one" 30g tank and the area in the back is very tight. Surprisingly everything is great parameters wise fish are happy and so are the corals. I have been noticing recently that when I reach in to adjust a coral or the rock-work the top of my arm is covered in brown, gross, ichy skim. So I got the mame skimmer after doing some research and thought that it would help remove that oil layer off the top of the tank, but nothing other than water is being bubbled up. I am getting about 1 drop worth of watery skim every 10 seconds. Any tips?

CURRENT FAMILY
FISH- 2 clowns, 1 Midas Blenny, 1 diamond Goby, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 Cerith snail, 1 Nassarius, 2 bee snails, 2 red-legged hermit crabs
Coral- psammocora (blue/green), Toadstool (Green), Leptoseris or maybe pavona (green on green encrusting), Monti cap (green), Green Star Polyp, Fungia Plate (blue/white pinwheel with green tentacles), Alveopora (light pink)

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 50 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back