Looking for help with my nano skimmer

LeafsReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm looking for sure advice with my nano skimmer, the comline 9001. It's been running for about 2 months, but my cup is just filling with water, usually green. I was thinking that I needed to increase the skim because it wasn't bubbling right to the top when I was watching it, but today it filled the whole cup in 1 day.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Turtle_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I imagine it's kinda like any other skimmer for smaller tanks im using a fluval ps1 but I had the same problem when I first put it in my tank. Cup filled up with clear water not darker is there lines on the side of the skimmer for water lines? As well as how much air do you have going into it from the tube us it all the way open or closed? As well as what you want to see when you put it in the tank is just the middle tube foaming about half way you don't want it foaming right away over into the cup or it will fill up fast. Just a slow bubbling in the tube about half way up and it will eventually flow over.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi, I'm looking for sure advice with my nano skimmer, the comline 9001. It's been running for about 2 months, but my cup is just filling with water, usually green. I was thinking that I needed to increase the skim because it wasn't bubbling right to the top when I was watching it, but today it filled the whole cup in 1 day.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Ive had little luck with this unit. Shoots a bunch of bubbles underneath and works when it wants to.
Better unit is an IceCap K1-50 that looks and works like a full size skimmer

Hugo_Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had great luck with the Icecap AIO 120 on my 10 gal. currently at work but if you want pictures I can post some.

Hugo_Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000000736.jpg

Here is a picture of it in action. Tuning can be a little finicky but once it's tuned correctly it pulls out black.

Turtle_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank are you using that on? I have a 25 g waterbox and I've been using the ps1 and have been trying to find a better skimmer is that one quiet?

Hugo_Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have it on a 10 gallon reef casa flat (stated as a 9 but it's basically a 10...). This is the 120. They do make the 240, which looks the exact same but is a little bit bigger. As for sound, it was loud at first but now is a silent hum. Like it's enough to know it's there but not enough to make it any worse then the ambient noise of where it's located.. if that makes since.. my only complaint is how finicky it is to get it to that point.. like at first I had the neck further in and it was pulling clear/ green... But after a week or 2 I pulled the neck further out to where it is now as I wasn't feeding the tank as much .. and this is what's it's producing daily.. In my experience with this skimmer it's more about setting it and giving it time.. is it perfect, no but it's small and fits in my AIO which the filter part is very tiny..

Hugo_Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I clean the cup and neck weekly as part of my water change. Usually let the body get dirty and clean it when needed.

Turtle_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently replaced my pump with a Jebao 1500 to get more flow in my tank. However, I had to customize it to fit by cutting the tube halfway. I am not sure if my cutting affected the sound, but the tank is louder with the skimmer fan and light turning on. Despite the noise, my tank is happy with the new flow, and so am I. Previously, I used filter floss, but my boyfriend gave me a fluval skimmer, which he didn't need. Although I found the skimmer finicky, there are hardly any reviews online for this skimmer, except for the PS2, which wasn't the greatest. Also, the PS1 was too bulky, and I had to move my light over and tilt it. I am open to trying other skimmers and seeing what other people are using.

Rocktron1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eshopps nano skimmer for the water box 25 is my recommendation
Fits in middle chamber no worries, and prime 16 lights still fits dead centre, nano skimmer to 1 side of middle chamber

You set the water height by simply raising or lowering the height of skimmer , so works better with a ATO so water level remains constant
1704756067071.png

Turtle_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does look way smaller than my fluval ps1 I have had to move my prime 16hd to the side using the arm mount not the bendy one. I'll look into this one thanks for the recommendation I'll forsure check this out.

Hugo_Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had what I believe was the older model of the eshopps nano skimmer it isn't that bad of a skimmer. Regardless the way you go, nano skimmers, in my opinion, are inherently more finicky than their bigger counterparts. So you will have to accept that it might take awhile before you will see good results.

Turtle_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah forsure I'm patient as this hobby you need to be pretty patient just been looking to see what others use. I was using filter floss but wanted to give a skimmer a shot. But the ps1 is pretty loud haha

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Eshopps nano skimmer for the water box 25 is my recommendation
Fits in middle chamber no worries, and prime 16 lights still fits dead centre, nano skimmer to 1 side of middle chamber

You set the water height by simply raising or lowering the height of skimmer , so works better with a ATO so water level remains constant
1704756067071.png
I have the older model of this and I am pretty pleased with it! The magnet mount makes it easy to adjust.

OP
OP
L

LeafsReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably a dumb question, but with my skimmer cup just filling up with water, is that salt water that I need to replace before my ATO replaces it with fresh water?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is probably a dumb question, but with my skimmer cup just filling up with water, is that salt water that I need to replace before my ATO replaces it with fresh water?
I think technically yes, though I wonder what the actual salinity is, the concentration may be different than the tank water. . .

I don't think many people directly replace skimmer water, just make adjustments as needed with water changes etc. . .

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back