Second nano skimmer for ozone?

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an ozone generator that I want to connect to my ~100 system volume tank. Space is limited in my sump and stand so no room for a reactor or a larger skimmer. My skimmer has a recirculating co2 scrubber on it so I’m worried the ozone will react negatively with the media and co2 scrubbers work better with humidified air so I can’t add a dryer.

I was wondering if a nano sized skimmer would work to run ozone from at night for an hour or two? I was thinking of this since it’s on sale. It’s rated for a 30 gal tank. Is this a dumb idea?

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My approach will be using a venturi to introduce ozone which can be fed into a reactor containing GAC. What I was told in the 90s as an option vs skimmer and have seen recommended for use with UV/Ozone combos as well as in use with waste water treatment. Having not used it. Not sure of the negatives although much cleaner design.

As for the small skimmer, as long as it's ozone safe then I'm not seeing why it wouldn't work since reactors made for Ozone are rather small. At least the one's I've researched which was the first method I was considering for using ozone. Don't need a sump to run one.

Hopefully someone comes along with practical use but in the meantime here's some ideas should this item not be ozone safe or other smaller options not available.

OP
OP
A

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My approach will be using a venturi to introduce ozone which can be fed into a reactor containing GAC. What I was told in the 90s as an option vs skimmer and have seen recommended for use with UV/Ozone combos as well as in use with waste water treatment. Having not used it. Not sure of the negatives although much cleaner design.

As for the small skimmer, as long as it's ozone safe then I'm not seeing why it wouldn't work since reactors made for Ozone are rather small. At least the one's I've researched which was the first method I was considering for using ozone. Don't need a sump to run one.

Hopefully someone comes along with practical use but in the meantime here's some ideas should this item not be ozone safe or other smaller options not available.
Thank you. Can you explain the Venturi/GAC setup a little bit more?

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ozone UV Flow Setup.JPG

Similar to the venturi function on a power head or skimmer except instead of drawing air it's receiving air from the corona discharge. Not sure why this isn't prevalent in the hobby although cheap usually isn't promoted.

Key is to keep the corona discharge above the water line to avoid back siphon or install a stop.

OP
OP
A

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ozone UV Flow Setup.JPG

Similar to the venturi function on a power head or skimmer except instead of drawing air it's receiving air from the corona discharge. Not sure why this isn't prevalent in the hobby although cheap usually isn't promoted.

Key is to keep the corona discharge above the water line to avoid back siphon or install a stop.
Interesting. I have a Pentair uv hard plumbed already. I wish I knew about that before hand. Would have been a good choice I think with minimal impact to cabinet/sump space.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing with ozone is proper contact time. Im not sure a small skimmer like you want to run would give proper contact time.
You would still need to run the skimmer effluent over carbon. Not sure how you would do that with that skimmer.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I have a Pentair uv hard plumbed already. I wish I knew about that before hand. Would have been a good choice I think with minimal impact to cabinet/sump space.
Partially why I'm strongly considering this path vs corona discharge as I want my systems kept as simple as possible. Also want to experiment with AOP which requires UV-C processing ozone and/or peroxide.

If you run the ozone through your UV then you'd get the same affect based on my research this is considerably more effective than ozone alone. Will be testing this out shortly on a 20H experimental tank. Mostly for QT but also for periodic sterilization during the night as you're considering.

The UV dissipates the ozone no longer necessitating GAC for that but still need GAC to process OPO byproducts, I'm told. Should make the GAC last longer since it's no longer needed to remove yellowing as well as anything the AOP resolves. At least in theory how I understand it.

Simple enough for you to run the same as the diagram. Might be worth trying before spending more money on more equipment needing space and maintenance. Only item I'd focus on would be a GAC reactor post UV and a dry air handler before the corona discharge.

BTW, one flaw I have with the UV/Ozone combo being it's always producing ozone when ruining the UV unless an air stop can be introduced perhaps ran off a solenoid and might need a controller. Why I'm thinking this setup best for QT where I'd be running it 24/7 or on a timer yet for main run UV and corona discharge with both on their own dedicated schedules.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 170 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back