Man cave fish room

SaltySammy

Bubblehead Forever
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all.
So I have new tanks and building some stands, adding some voltage and ventilation for the basement man cave.

My question for all you pros out there, I have no idea about how to plumb or build/setup a sump. I have 4 10g, 2 20L and a 40b. My goal is to build a sump and incorporate all these into it (the 10's and 20's are for a breeding project) and the 40b as a frag tank/sump , as well as the 100 g that I'm getting in the near future as my display upstairs. SO the question is - How big of a sump do I need to build for all of these, i picked up the 40 for this but i don't know if it's large enough. Any help with websites/YouTube/etc that can walk me through this would be greatly appreciated.

And lastly **** THIS HOBBY. Im so addicted.

Sammy

KYLECT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least a 75 gal, the key is a sump that's large enough to take all the tanks shutting off without overflowing.

Kyle

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd consider bigger. Anything you have the room/$ for. I have a 60g 6 for sump for my 125g upstairs tank. Not really big enough. Planning to add a ton of stuff in the basement.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all.
So I have new tanks and building some stands, adding some voltage and ventilation for the basement man cave.

My question for all you pros out there, I have no idea about how to plumb or build/setup a sump. I have 4 10g, 2 20L and a 40b. My goal is to build a sump and incorporate all these into it (the 10's and 20's are for a breeding project) and the 40b as a frag tank/sump , as well as the 100 g that I'm getting in the near future as my display upstairs. SO the question is - How big of a sump do I need to build for all of these, i picked up the 40 for this but i don't know if it's large enough. Any help with websites/YouTube/etc that can walk me through this would be greatly appreciated.

And lastly **** THIS HOBBY. Im so addicted.

Sammy

Hello Sammy,
Funny but In the middle of the same type of project, I have a room in my basement (wife said that's all the space I can use (yeah right):angel:) that's being setup for the same thing, I have two rubbermaid containers one (1) 100 gallon and one (1) 50 gallon, my plan is to use the 100g for most if not all of the live-roock and the 50g for a sand bed with microfauna, cheato, etc. I'm pluming in two (2) Dart with Baldor motors, one as a cold stand-by, and the other as a the running hot (yes I'm in I.T. sorry for the techie terms, but I'm a big fan of redundancy). I've drilled the 50g in the style of "beananimal overflow" this is right under my bedroom and want it as silent as I can make it... The plan is to use flex piping for all the main runs reducing my 90's and 45's as much as I can, the main tank is 180 gallon, I have a a certified welder in the fam (my older son) and the 1-1/2@3/16-wall square tubing is cut and being welded up for the stand on the 180... that's also being setup with a beananimal "style" overflow, and Oceans Motions 4-Way Wavemaker.

I have PIC's and can share them with you if you like.

IMO, I'm tired of running back and forth when I need to do something on my 150g DT in the living room so centralizing everything in one location is the best option for me... I'm very DIY, re-did all the pluming in my house when I moved in, it was all steel pipe and had to go. I'm a machinist by trade so for me, I like the challenge of do pluming, and electrical work. How the heck did I end up in I.T. :eek:oh:(long story).

I would be willing to help you lay out your pluming if you'd like, just let me know.
Thanks,
Alex

"And lastly **** THIS HOBBY. Im so addicted." <---man don't I know it!!!

OP
OP
SaltySammy

SaltySammy

Bubblehead Forever
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
outstanding... an i completely understand redundancy bro, have spent 24 years as an Electronics Tech in the US Sub force, Submarines are the kings of redundancy (for obvious reason...Death if failure lol) and the habit dies hard :) Ill hit ya up once the building phase is done and im ready to lay the system out.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"US Sub force" Full-time or ex-military? assuming full-time active duty... 95-Bravo myself.

OP
OP
SaltySammy

SaltySammy

Bubblehead Forever
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
95-Bravo ? Army thing i assume. Yea i was Active the whole time. retired as Chief and did surface for first 3 yrs then went Subs and loved it.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
95-Bravo = MP... Panama and later State side.... Thank YOU for your service Chief!

OP
OP
SaltySammy

SaltySammy

Bubblehead Forever
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And also you bro, its all hard no matter what branch or job. Although I really miss going on deployment and i did several 1 yr tours in Bahrain @ 5th fleet and I loved that **** sandbox!

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
veracruz beach, tons of eye-candy... talk about OT, sorry!

Masedaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was a Radioman got out as First class petty officer. I was on the USS Miami SSN 755 and shore duty on Base in New London CT.

OP
OP
SaltySammy

SaltySammy

Bubblehead Forever
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummm RM's always my favorites as ODEA. And radio was the best place to hide from the Navigator (and ya now i NEVER went AFT unless it was a drill) :xd:

OP
OP
SaltySammy

SaltySammy

Bubblehead Forever
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HAHA I had one et and rm in the fanroon and no matter who i sent in there i would have to check on them every 1/2 hour or they would be nappin'. I hated that space! and if it was midwatch guys id let them just sleep for 3 hrs :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back