Man I am sad.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y'all's expectations of what FedEx or UPS can do in a world of workers who really don't care about their quality of work... is WAY TO HIGH y'all

Best be happy there's even a Driver showing to work moving packages and not home watching TV and cutting an unemployment check

Last edited:

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sell LPS to local stores, and or local pick up only. I almost lost a favorite piece of coral I have raised for 30 years and im sure its 40 years old. And I was going to give this hobby up. I pulled my boot straps up, saved 10% of my lobo and decided t0 stay with it, and corrected the errors I made where I lost my way. MY POINT, this hobby has some hard lumps, keep after it!!!!! you sound like a good guy.

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you everyone for the kind messages. I just had to vent.

I know this is part of shipping and our hobby unfortuantly as I have had packages delayed in the past but when it is all 8 out of 8 packages and they literally are sitting 1 hour from my house. Just sitting at the airport in NJ from 9pm on 9/29 till 7pm 9/30 for no reason it is just so frustrating. I had a couple DOA and multiple more die overnight. Luckily it does look like over 70% of the corals will survive but of course the ones that died are my high end tenuis so the expensive ones.

I know its not just a Fedex thing either as I hear a lot of bad things about UPS and I honestly know I wont get anything in return from Fedex as you cant insurance corals. I really just made this post to vent to people who will understand my frustration haha

Last edited:
OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
D73D993C-2B13-403D-BEBB-00A58378E8B2.jpeg

Quick picture I took this morning before I went to work and obviously before lights came on of a section of the corals I shipped on Wednesday, circled the ones that died overnight. So a good amount did make it and I have hope no others will die since I did everything I could to get them back last night and they didn’t just sit at the airport for another night for no reason.

Last edited:

ShakerBreaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bright side, you just learned a lesson that could save you a lot of grief, one day you might be shipping $10,000 in corals .. you will use ups. They're not perfect, but I've learned my own lesson and they get there 80% of the time.

Fed Ex is hands down the worst. It's not the drivers, it's the customer service. I had an issue and I asked to speak to my driver's supervisor, customer service told me that it's not possible to talk to a supervisor unless I drive to a location an hour away and hope they are there and will see me. No phone calls, no appointments, etc.

Ridiculous. I won't buy from places that only have a fed ex ship option.

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Bright side, you just learned a lesson that could save you a lot of grief, one day you might be shipping $10,000 in corals .. you will use ups. They're not perfect, but I've learned my own lesson and they get there 80% of the time.

Fed Ex is hands down the worst. It's not the drivers, it's the customer service. I had an issue and I asked to speak to my driver's supervisor, customer service told me that it's not possible to talk to a supervisor unless I drive to a location an hour away and hope they are there and will see me. No phone calls, no appointments, etc.

Ridiculous. I won't buy from places that only have a fed ex ship option.

Yeah I am going to look into shipping providers that use UPS. I use finiship right now and they only use Fedex so I don't really have an option but I am getting really fed up with Fedex the past couple months.

I know places are crazy busy and cant get enough workers back but still very frustrating.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FedEx used to be great a few years back, but they cannot get or keep staff. They all work for Amazon now.

My home office windows face the street and each day I see 10 Amazon vans go by before I see a FedEx van. Amazon fulfillment is incredible. I have stuff delivered inside of 15 hours sometimes.

Perhaps someday they will open up their fulfillment operations in way you can use. Doesn't Bethlehem PA have a distribution center?

Anyway, sorry for your loss. It is this kind of headaches/heartache that keeps me from shipping coral. That, and I am lazy. I sell only to locals and local LFS places for store credit.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had to vent to y'all.

I sell a good amount of SPS (acropora) here on the thread as a hobbyist and try to do the best for everyone here and do good prices. I dropped 8 packages off last night 9/29, they did not move anywhere till noon today (9/30) for no good reason. I called Fedex probably 30 times and I got the same response "We promise the packages will be delivered today" when I knew dang well that was impossible as the packages were pretty much all going to the west coast and I am in PA.

They finally transferred me to someone higher up who got me in contact with someone at the local hub close to me about getting the corals brought back today, THE DAY AFTER I shipped to hopefully save some of the corals. They did not bring the corals back till 7pm for me to pickup (again the day after I dropped them off) and a good amount of the SPS are not looking good and multiple dead. These were supposed to be delivered to the other hobbyist by noon today. This was over $3,000 worth of corals, just really upset as obviously there is nothing I could have done and I worked extra hard to get the packages back to hopefully save some of the corals. Sorry not looking for anything, but just had to vent.

Shipping REALLY REALLY sucks sometimes, especially when it is for no reason. No storms, no nothing.
dang that sucks. Do they at least refund the shipping you paid?

The better question is. Where in PA are you located? And can I come pick out some coral? I'm up in the Northeast PA and there's not much to choose from. I usually end up travelling down toward Philly to get stuff.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only had corals shipped once and FedEx delivered and messed it up. I missed the delivery (my fault) so I went to pick up the corals from the hub as instructed. Well…. They sent them back out again without telling me and I missed the delivery again while I was trying to pick them up!! That forced me to wait overnight to pick them up and a few died. Luckily the vendor was super cool about replacing them.

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
FedEx used to be great a few years back, but they cannot get or keep staff. They all work for Amazon now.

My home office windows face the street and each day I see 10 Amazon vans go by before I see a FedEx van. Amazon fulfillment is incredible. I have stuff delivered inside of 15 hours sometimes.

Perhaps someday they will open up their fulfillment operations in way you can use. Doesn't Bethlehem PA have a distribution center?

Anyway, sorry for your loss. It is this kind of headaches/heartache that keeps me from shipping coral. That, and I am lazy. I sell only to locals and local LFS places for store credit.

Yup Bethlehem PA has a distribution center, it said there all night then it didnt go out so they drove the package to NJ the next day to have it sit all day there to drive it back to the Bethlehem distribution center where I picked it up last night. Just a total mess.

I really wish we could ship through Amazon.

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
dang that sucks. Do they at least refund the shipping you paid?

The better question is. Where in PA are you located? And can I come pick out some coral? I'm up in the Northeast PA and there's not much to choose from. I usually end up travelling down toward Philly to get stuff.

I am in Allentown PA :)

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only had corals shipped once and FedEx delivered and messed it up. I missed the delivery (my fault) so I went to pick up the corals from the hub as instructed. Well…. They sent them back out again without telling me and I missed the delivery again while I was trying to pick them up!! That forced me to wait overnight to pick them up and a few died. Luckily the vendor was super cool about replacing them.
That is impressive that the vendor would work with you. Every vendor I've ever seen has a clause that if you don't get the delivery the first attempt then they won't cover any DOA. My problem is that drivers will just set the package outside and never even bother to ring the door bell. Luckily my video doorbell usually picks it up and tells me there is a package (or at least a person) at the door.

Ironically if it makes it past Memphis my packages always arrive on time, so my local FedEx seems to do a good job. I do have to cross my fingers when I see a package arrive in Memphis though.

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That really stinks! Shipping is tough. I'm so nervous about it, I typically only ship one coral at a time. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope you are able to save a few of them.

Patientman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the losses.
Tempted to say it a regional thing and that Fed Ex is the only service I'd consider here (in Maryland). I purchase medical supplies at work and the UPS motto should be "Oh we will get it to you … eventually". I've had vital supplies that we pay overnight fees for take as long as six business days! Refrigerated items wasted in shipping. That being said … it only takes one hic-cup at any one of various locations/hubs/transfer stations on cross country shipments to muck up the entire process! A real problem for certain for everyone! … And yes … I've had some issues with Fed Ex as well … just a lot fewer. Would be nice if we got what we paid for with realistic delivery schedules.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back