Man Vs Bryopsis - Kent's, Continuum, and Vibrant treatment thread

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kent's Tech M (FAIL) - Continuum reefbasis (FAIL and not waiting) - Vibrant Reef Cleaner - (FAIL)

THE CURE PLEASE CLICK HERE

Hello friends,
I'm doing this method of treatment as I feel it best suits my particular Bryopsis invasion. I have a 20g 4-5 month old tank going strong. This tanks booming with growth! I'm really pleased. I have my friends at home and at R2R to thank. I've always had a green thumb so to speak, but the knowledge posted in these boards is outstanding. I have followed @twilliard and @brandon429 on their H2O2 treatments and rasp technique closely. Totally agree with it and support it! I did not do a rasp but I did do a direct H2O2 treatment with 3% on a zoa frag plug. It worked awesome! Still no bry on the plug today.

So tonight I am starting my Mg dosing regimin. This is in a 20 gallon reef tank. The tank has MANY inverts, 3 fish, and 42 species of coral. I will be paying very close attention during the treatment. I will be taking photos, videos, and logging data.

Reference Links

http://healthyaquatics.com/guides/e...-diseases-reef-parasites-and-nuisance-anima-7

Pictures

8/28/16 - Location of Bryopsis - Center of picture. "Sunny D" Paly and "fruit drop" zoa colonies. To put these pics into perspective there are 16 sunny d polyps and I can only see 5-7 well. These were taken on day 3 of the treatment. I feel like I can see a change in the Bryopsis it may be beginning to die back. Getting a lot of white chunks building up.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Macro pictures of my Bryopsis species in warm freshwater.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

To kill a Bryopsis - Using Kent's Tech M

What's needed to do this treatment?
-Bottle of Kents Tech M Magnesium (I have a 64oz.)
-Salifert Mg dosing chart (http://www.salifert.com/instructions temp/magnesium profi-test.pdf)
-My extended Mg dosing chart (https://www.icloud.com/numbers/0YqaxLtjq4jp-Sin_MEQaxu6A#Blank_2)
-Salifert Mg test kit
-1Oz. Measuring cup, ml syringes, conversion calculator, lol
-Mg dosing Calculator ( http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html )
-My daily Log (https://www.icloud.com/numbers/0vP5sftlsKvrm8ORA3SWDXn_Q#Bryopsis_War_Log)

What is the plan?
-Dose the tank with 90-100ppm's of Mg Each day until 1800ppm's are reached or Bryopsis melts. My target is 90ppm a day. (8/28/16. I am struggling to hit target dose each day. Not sure why. The calculator, my measuring?.)
-Once 1500ppm is achieved switch to the extended ppm table. Instead of using 1ml of regent will now use 2ml. The other option is to use 1ml of tank water and 1ml of regent then double the results and refer to the chart. For this purpose I've made the extended chart using 1ml of regent. This save your test solution but the test is not as acurate.
-Test tank each day to calculate how much Mg dose. You can also learn your actual water volume this way. I'm guessing I have 16 gallons of water. I want to be on the low side if anything to begin. I honestly believe it's more like 18 gallons, due to a massive canister filter.
-log the data each day. I'm using numbers on my iPad. Basic cell sheet. I will provide the file if possible.
-Pray, cross my fingers, and rub my shamrock tattoo that all goes as planned.

First Mg Dose
My tanks Bryopsis is growing in 1350ppm of Mg. this was my starting Mg level. I want to raise my tanks Mg by 90ppm. Therfore, I want my first dose to raise the tank to 1440ppm. Using the calculator posted above I need to add 2.6oz of mg. Tomorrow before I dose I'll test the Mg. If I am at 1440ppm I was right on my guess of 16 gallons of water in the tank. If it's under 1440ppm I know I have over 16 gallons of water in the tank. I will probably go up a gallon if that's the case and do a calculation at 17 gallons for the next dose. I'll follow this Trend until I can zero in on my volume. IF, I dose exactly 90 ppm each day I'll hit 1800ppm in 5 days. I'm thinking I will be looking at 7-9 days. I will have to do a water change during this treatment. I may skip it tho.

So that's it for now friends. Check in each day and thanks for reading :)

Bryopsis pictures on day 6 of treatment (8/31/16). Looks like it's still growing.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

9/2/16
Bryopsis is dying, 1 Coral effected by change Mg. A species of Clavularia has become translucent but otherwise healthy.

9/11/16
Bryopsis is dying but spreading. There are parts that are turning clear and easily coming away from the rock then there are parts that are holding tight and dark green. Did manually removal a good ammount I will use for samples/tests.
-Phosphate are at 0/no traceable reading. Using Salifert test.

10/25/16
FAST FORWARD UPDATE

Anyone whos been following my thread know that Kent's was a total failure. Why it worked back in the day and why it doesnt now is still questionable. Story goes Mr. Kent left Kents and took that secret with him. Ok, that sounds like it could be true. Here is gets weird. He opens a new company called Continuum and puts out a product called Reef Basis. Its another Mg dosing product but with a list of metal compounds. One specific compound called LiCl or Lithium Chloride. This is/was the suspected secret ingredient. I began dosing reef basis the same way I dosed Kents. Raised the Mg up to 2000ppm. And quite honestly I lost faith quick. The Bryopsis and other algae were growing just the same. This bring us to UWC's product Vibrant. I didnt want to give up, and continued searching online. Came across some youtube videos of a guy using this product on a Bryopsis mess like I have in my tank. Its this or tank breakdown, so I decided to use Vibrant.

I have dosed twice so far in the course of a week. I am noticing some cleaner/sparkling tank water, and the glass is staying cleaner. It appears that some hair algae's are browning up too.

Last edited:

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rumor has it they changed their formula and it no longer kills bryopsis. it would be nice to figure this out. is there a date or lot number on your bottle?

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the tech m route, didn't work, just made my wallet lighter. :)

Peroxide works well and is a better route imo.. Like cromag says many people swore by tech m, then some guy left the company, and supposedly the recipe changed. But of course then the brs guy says 'you can use ANY kind of magnesium! buy mine!'

Manual removal and peroxide worked for me followed by nopox dosing.
Even recently I had a little patch popup after some food fell into the tank. I pulled it and scrubbed it with a toothbrush, rinsed it off a little bit, no peroxide and just put it back in the tank. It didn't come back. (prolly because I dose nopox; only difference from then and now)

Good luck though, it's annoying as heck lol

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't catch any news about "the guy that left Kents and taking his secret recipe with him until just now". Yeah I won't be happy if that's the case, as I've invested about $60 in doing this treatment. I hope this is bogus information...

OP
OP
stevo01

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quoted from member at reef central in 2009...

"I got a response from them.

They basically said that Tech M has not changed.

The reason for the label change is that the ingredients they used are Mag chloride and mag sulfate--- and that the other items in the previous "ingredient list" on the label were basically by-products or impurities. By law they don't need to record them as "ingredients" since they are of such a low concentration.

It still works, trust me, I'm watching bryopsis die right now
wink.gif
"

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW my mag is around 1600 and my bryopsis is flourishing. Well flourishing in spots that Ive become lazy to get.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1600 is still too low...may need as much as 2200.
Nah. Not risking that. I haven't heard of a successful kent m treatment in years. Best treatment is manual removal followed by h202. Or for me just starting a new tank.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't catch any news about "the guy that left Kents and taking his secret recipe with him until just now". Yeah I won't be happy if that's the case, as I've invested about $60 in doing this treatment. I hope this is bogus information...
Don't think of it as a waste at all.
This is a great opportunity to help put this information to rest. Did they change it? We don't know for sure. Has it decreased in the potential to work against bryopsis? Yes
With proper recording of information you can document your findings. Post a picture up of what you are using and also a picture of the tank. Keep written record of everything. After 30 days you can compile this information to post a conclusive finding :)

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recall when I was looking into it a couple years ago, it was a back and forth. Seems almost a 50/50 if it will work. Reasons ranged from 'it's an impurity' to 'the recipe has changed and still/doesn't work' to 'it's the high magnesium levels that do it' to 'only certain strains of bryopsis are affected by it' to 'it's actually the small amount of copper' to 'it's an interaction between the magnesium and oxygen levels' (iirc)... There's not much concrete, repeatable instructions other than 'jack up your magnesium'.

I do however know for a fact a toothbrush, peroxide, and manual intervention work quite well. :) As far as the BRS comment, it was one of the last couple weeks they touched on the subject and the guy basically said what we're talking about here, and intervened that brs mag works fine too. (sales pitch imo because I know how desperation can set in)

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im curious to see what happens to coral and inverts with mag around 2200.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are threads where brightwell magnesium was killing bry, missing kent ingredient shouldn't be a deal breaker imo

magnesium is a core component of photosystem nutrient pathways in many plants, if overdosing is causing machinery backup in the cells of receptive plants for elemental reasons and not an unnamed component that's not surprising. threads exist showing any magnesium working, for the species where water dosing would have worked. Even a makeshift nano reef tank is ideal for water testing, submitting a test rock to the 1800 constant just to get an idea. Mg boosting is usually innocuous such that a tank trial is nbd to try anyway. I rate it about equal to peroxide dosing/affect on nontargets occasionally. both are pretty tame. I fully believe Mg boosting w beat peroxide *in tank* dosing for bry purposes, but peroxide w beat Mg as an external doser.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been unable to find any threads where Tech M process was accurately documented. I see a lot of threads discussing and giving pointers to dosing but never any photographed proof. It will be nice to see Steve attempt this method and with graphical evidence. Might even inspire me to give it a shot, after I've fraged my last coral. Till then, I'm not convinced lol<---fuel for success... prove me wrong ;)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

• I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Other.

Back