Man Vs Bryopsis - Kent's, Continuum, and Vibrant treatment thread

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is a good sign. Depending on what strain of bryopsis you have, it can take multiple doses to knock out. Bryopsis does not go down easy but you will beat it out.

Maxxingout

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is good to see, I am not at the same stage of dosing as you but that gives me hope. I am removing bryopsis during water changes to hopefully speed things along. It's still growing back at this stage for me but I'm only going on my 3rd dose.

Africangrey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not only you have bryopsis but I could also see some of the dino with trapped air bubbles, but it has be examined under the microscope to be certain.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, update time....The Bryopsis is melting away! Not all gone yet but a MAJOR change. First it gets light in color, then covered in what looks like cyano but isn't, then it slowly melts away. The "remains" brush right off the rocks or can be sucked off with a baster. Keeping my fingers crossed that this is a complete kill happeneing.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant Update

Its been 23 days using Vibrant in my 20G. This stuff is amazing! Its melting the Bryopsis now. I believe there is still some bubble algea but i havent actually seen any for a few days. Ill keep my eyes open. So this cleaner seems to be eating the algae's in a ladder system as described. The Bryopsis is turning brown bubbling and finally dissolving. I believe im about halfway there. I was am cleaning my acrylic every 3 days and it easily wipe off with a magic eraser. One quick pass and its crystal.

Considering using some NO3/PO4 X as maybe it will help the Vibrant bacterias to focus more on healthy Bryopsis instead of dissolving nitrates. Ill have to ask Jeff @UWC about this.

This melting effect is new as of the 6th dose. My dosing schedule is 4 pumps of Vibrant at night every 3 days. Tonight will be dose #8 = 23 days of Vibrant. As far as i can tell invers are unaffected by my aggressive dosing. Some corals are bleaching a little like cyphastrea. This may be also due to stretching out my WC's in theory that it will cut back Vibrant. I am going to refrain from manual removal. I believe if i just let it go it will dissolve. If i need to remove for coral survival i will, as may a few cases.

IMG_5372.JPG

IMG_5373.JPG

See here the green spots are the healthiest parts.
IMG_5374.JPG
Hey man, where are you at with this? Curiosity!!!!

dochow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bryopsis can be beat. I find it hard for a solution from a bottle to have good results on a heavily infested tank. Maybe use it in combo, but IMO you can't rely on it alone. This is a problem that needs to be targeted from multiple angles.

1.) Better nutrient control. Water changes, change filter socks or get filter pads you can throw out.

2.). Hand remove as much bryopsis as possible every water change.

3.). Remove heavily infested rocks. Soak in hydrogen peroxide. Rasp. Dry. Consider putting them back in when bryposis better controlled weeks to months down the road.

4.). During water changes pull out one or two rocks. Rasp them. Hand remove as much as possible. Then can use straight hydrogen peroxide in tough spots or soak the rock in diluted H2O2 in salt water you just removed from tank. Replace in tank.

5.) Reduce the length of your lighting schedule

6.) Focus on better lighting in your refugium to get your macroalgae to out-compete for nutrients.

7.) Run carbon, consider GFO media.

8.) Make sure CUC is sufficient. I had to add a few hermits and I ended up adding 2 emerald crabs which are fantastic and not touching my corals at all.

9.) Try a bottled product. I used Tech M magnesium. Not sure if it helped at all, but it's part of my Mg dosing.

My $0.02

fmp47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had my first bryopsis infestation. It "appeared" to be totally eliminated after 5 weeks of therapy. I maintained Mg++ levels in excess of 1900 using Kent Tech M using Salfert reagents. After 5 weeks it was gone. Fast forward 1 month, it is back with a vengeance. I am now redosing Kent Tech M daily to 1900-2000 AND Vibrant twice weekly at recommended dose. I hope the effect is synergistic.

blazedmasta

The Coral Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When dosing once a week is anyone having issues with keeping micro algae in a refugium? Like cheato.

fmp47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read on another forum of a treatment for bryopsis using fluconazole (Diflucan) . Anyone have or know anyone who has tried this and the results?

dochow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flucanazole is an anti-fungal that often is used in humans to treat yeast infections among many other fungal infections.

It would be interesting to hear what the mechanism of it is to fight bryopsis....

Maxxingout

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When dosing once a week is anyone having issues with keeping micro algae in a refugium? Like cheato.

Yes, all of mine died off. Didn't realize it until most of it died off either due to the fact that the glass in that area is covered. Even that is dying off with air bubbles everywhere. Oh and the bry is still growing strong.

fmp47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To quote from the other forum "Fluconazole is also known as Diflucan. Used in the medical field to treat yeast infections. Its mechanism of action is to block the formation of ergosterol in the cell walls. Similar to cholesterol in humans and other animals.

Cholesterol is vital to animals to form cell walls and ergosterol serves the same function in plants and yeasts. So Fluconazole would block the formation of cell walls in plants and fungi effectively killing them."

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used vibrant to kill Bryopsis that came on the live rock I got it took 2 months to kill it but it turned brown and melted away. It was really bad covered everything tried Kent's didn't work. I just did my weekly water changes and dosed 1 ml two times a week

dochow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To quote from the other forum "Fluconazole is also known as Diflucan. Used in the medical field to treat yeast infections. Its mechanism of action is to block the formation of ergosterol in the cell walls. Similar to cholesterol in humans and other animals.

Cholesterol is vital to animals to form cell walls and ergosterol serves the same function in plants and yeasts. So Fluconazole would block the formation of cell walls in plants and fungi effectively killing them."

So the other forum member which you are quoting may be using words interchangeably, but to clarify, fluconazole does not work on cell walls, it works on cell membranes. Specifically it works on an enzyme that inhibits the protein of the "cholesterol like end product" which leads to increased membrane fluidity. By blocking this, it prevents yeast, which is not in the plant kingdom, from creating a cell membrane.

Plants do have a cell membrane which is inside their cell wall. I would think fluconazole would have a difficult time getting through the cell wall to get to the membrane and additionally, the enzyme which is targeted by fluconazole likely has a completely different stereometric structure which would cause fluconazole to be ineffective towards it.

Anyways, I only bring this up as most drugs have a drug delivery system (some formulation of products) which assist in solubility, enzyme activity and absorption.

I think it may be more in the drug delivery products in fluconazole which may be working on bryopsis, rather than the active ingredient.

Anyways my two cents, I think we find in a lot of these products acting on bryopsis, even such as Tech M, that it's actually not elevated levels of magnesium that work on killing bryopsis, but actually the other products in Tech M which are doing the job in a manner we don't fully understand.

I don't think you can be a reefer without being a scientist/biologist, even if you don't see yourself as one!

Back