Managing Clownfish Behavior

ReefGuy1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading through posts about various clownfish issues and haven't quite found one that matches my concerns, so...

I have a clownfish pair in my 20g nano — were sold to me very young as regular orange ocellaris, but have since matured to look like some form of black and white clownfish. I also have a tailspot blenny in my tank that went in first. The clowns arrived a week after the blenny and immediately went to him, and these three have been good together from day one — the female clown even pals around w/the blenny sometimes and tries to copy his rock-nipping behavior, which I find funny and endearing.

About a couple months ago, the female clown began nipping at my hand when I went to add their morning food — it’s very sporadic, and often I’ll go weeks w/o it happening and then one day, bam. I put Masstick on the tank wall every morning, and mostly she just waits until it’s stuck and I take my hand out, but sometimes she goes nuts as I’m sticking it down. So I just began religiously wearing gloves when I put the food in, and it doesn’t bother me much if it happens. This behavior appeared to be food related, like she would get into these feeding frenzies. But then I noticed her do it once or twice when I had my hand in gluing a frag down close to where she was swimming, so that kinda blows the feeding theory.

Anyway, wearing gloves resolved it on my end, but even though it’s very sporadic, when she does it she goes all in with flips. This morning she did it and very nearly flipped right out of the tank. So now THAT is my biggest concern.

My Q is: Is there anything I can do to manage this behavior better?

I haven’t seen pure aggression from her. She and the littler guy have paired now and are nearly inseparable — once in a while I’ll notice her nip at him and he does the funny shimmy to her, or he turns up with a small tear in a fin that heals w/in a day, but I’ve never seen true knock-down drag-out worrisome aggression. She will also try to push the others away from the food, but the blenny will just persistently push his way back in and she then defers to him, while the male clown hangs behind and catches all the food that floats off as the other two go at the masstick. All are eating well and have a rhythm. I mainly want to ensure that if she gets overly excited when I put food in the tank, she won’t flip herself right out onto the floor. I have to take the lid off to put my hand in to stick this particular food on the glass, and it's honestly feels like it's only a matter of time if I go on the way things are now.
Clown fish can be very territorial and can take up as much as 10‘ x 10‘ on a reef in the wild but I think it is normal behavior and it happens to me as well. As far as managing it try feeding on the other side of the tank.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m assuming Masstick?

There is a feeder grid that works well with stick on foods. It has a magnet back so you can put the food in away from the clown and without putting your hands in the tank, then close the top and slide it over to where you currently feed.

There are serval on the market. I have personally used the one linked below with Masstick and it works well. Also takes nori sheets.

OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m assuming Masstick?

There is a feeder grid that works well with stick on foods. It has a magnet back so you can put the food in away from the clown and without putting your hands in the tank, then close the top and slide it over to where you currently feed.

There are serval on the market. I have personally used the one linked below with Masstick and it works well. Also takes nori sheets.

Oh, interesting -- I didn't realize those could work with Masstick. Might be worth a try but the blenny is terrified of algae clips so IDK if he'd avoid it. Weirdo, lol. The Masstick is really for the blenny's benefit b/c it's the only way I could find to get him to eat -- he likes to graze on it stuck to the side of the glass.

I'me also thinking of maybe splitting it up and putting one bit on each side of the tank, and putting it on the side she's not used to it being on first.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's primarily for the blenny, put the Masstick on the inside of a half small clamshell. Then use tongs or long tweezers to put the shell in a back corner. Get it as far away from the clown and as close to where the blenny hides as you can. I got an extremly shy Kole tang feeding this way....

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown fish are the official "get off my lawn" fish. They get meaner with age and no amount of talking to them is going to help.
They're not just the "get off my lawn fish", they're the "I kill you!" fish. The current pair I have don't bite me (never have, in fact). They've just wracked up an extraordinary kill count: 1 other clown in my tank and two dozen from the previous owner.

OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's primarily for the blenny, put the Masstick on the inside of a half small clamshell. Then use tongs or long tweezers to put the shell in a back corner. Get it as far away from the clown and as close to where the blenny hides as you can. I got an extremly shy Kole tang feeding this way....
He's not shy -- is usually front and center. But for some reason the actual algae clip scares him lol. It's actually pretty funny. He will eat it from a rock or other natural thing, or the glass. Put food in an algae clip and stick that to the glass and he steers clear, put just the food stuck to the glass and he's all over it.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's not shy -- is usually front and center. But for some reason the actual algae clip scares him lol. It's actually pretty funny. He will eat it from a rock or other natural thing, or the glass. Put food in an algae clip and stick that to the glass and he steers clear, put just the food stuck to the glass and he's all over it.
Not commenting on shyness. Just mentioning my shy fish. Placing it away from the clown will just give the blenny potentially more time to eat. I know your tank is smaller, but clowns are usually homebodies and tend to stay in about a one square foot area. More so if they are fully paired off and have an anemone.

OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an old-ish thread but wanted to just update on how this was resolved. I was able to resolve it! The female clown now associates my hand directly with food, and she has stopped attacking it. I hover my fingers above the water and show her the masstick every morning before putting it in the tank. She even backs up when she sees my fingers w/the food in the morning now, and waits for me to put it on the glass. Funny thing is if I put my hand in to do maintenance she follows it around thinking she’s gonna get fed. Total 360, but I’m aware it might not stick if they start spawning.

Watsonking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scrolling through these posts, I just had to chuckle at so many that I HAVE!!!
:rolleyes:

Dogface Puffer
Porcupine Puffer
Humu Humu Trigger
Clown Trigger
Niger Trigger
Maroon Clown

But perhaps the irony lies in the fact that the single, most aggressive and dangerous fish I have... is an Aiptasia Filefish!
Hands-down, it's the Jeffrey Dahmer of my tanks.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back