Managing Clownfish Behavior

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading through posts about various clownfish issues and haven't quite found one that matches my concerns, so...

I have a clownfish pair in my 20g nano — were sold to me very young as regular orange ocellaris, but have since matured to look like some form of black and white clownfish. I also have a tailspot blenny in my tank that went in first. The clowns arrived a week after the blenny and immediately went to him, and these three have been good together from day one — the female clown even pals around w/the blenny sometimes and tries to copy his rock-nipping behavior, which I find funny and endearing.

About a couple months ago, the female clown began nipping at my hand when I went to add their morning food — it’s very sporadic, and often I’ll go weeks w/o it happening and then one day, bam. I put Masstick on the tank wall every morning, and mostly she just waits until it’s stuck and I take my hand out, but sometimes she goes nuts as I’m sticking it down. So I just began religiously wearing gloves when I put the food in, and it doesn’t bother me much if it happens. This behavior appeared to be food related, like she would get into these feeding frenzies. But then I noticed her do it once or twice when I had my hand in gluing a frag down close to where she was swimming, so that kinda blows the feeding theory.

Anyway, wearing gloves resolved it on my end, but even though it’s very sporadic, when she does it she goes all in with flips. This morning she did it and very nearly flipped right out of the tank. So now THAT is my biggest concern.

My Q is: Is there anything I can do to manage this behavior better?

I haven’t seen pure aggression from her. She and the littler guy have paired now and are nearly inseparable — once in a while I’ll notice her nip at him and he does the funny shimmy to her, or he turns up with a small tear in a fin that heals w/in a day, but I’ve never seen true knock-down drag-out worrisome aggression. She will also try to push the others away from the food, but the blenny will just persistently push his way back in and she then defers to him, while the male clown hangs behind and catches all the food that floats off as the other two go at the masstick. All are eating well and have a rhythm. I mainly want to ensure that if she gets overly excited when I put food in the tank, she won’t flip herself right out onto the floor. I have to take the lid off to put my hand in to stick this particular food on the glass, and it's honestly feels like it's only a matter of time if I go on the way things are now.

Last edited:

mike89t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny I have a pair of young ocellaris clowns and I was using a turkey baster to blow off the rocks today. I noticed that the female kept swimming up to my hand. One time she even gave me a little "kiss" on the hand. So I started blasting her with the flow from the turkey baster. Slowed her down for a bit but not much.

stevolough

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny I have a pair of young ocellaris clowns and I was using a turkey baster to blow off the rocks today. I noticed that the female kept swimming up to my hand. One time she even gave me a little "kiss" on the hand. So I started blasting her with the flow from the turkey baster. Slowed her down for a bit but not much.
One of My percula clown thinks it’s half piranha. Had the two of them for about sixteen years. Anytime my hand is near there hammer coral I get nipped. Even went spastic once and jumped out of tank. When I clean tank I stay clear as best I can and always cover my tank with netting ever since. If you use netting these are awesome. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/screen-top-feeding-portal-neat-aquatics.html

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just responded to a member's post about what fish you would never get. After reading all the stories on here about evil clownfish that's how I responded. Your post confirms it. :) I have no words of wisdom other than it seems there is no controlling these guys and they do seem to get worse with age (probably when they get to breeding age). The movie Finding Nemo never showed this side of their personality. :)

OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just responded to a member's post about what fish you would never get. After reading all the stories on here about evil clownfish that's how I responded. Your post confirms it. :) I have no words of wisdom other than it seems there is no controlling these guys and they do seem to get worse with age (probably when they get to breeding age). The movie Finding Nemo never showed this side of their personality. :)
Well, I def didn’t mean to deter anyone from clowns — I love my 2 and tried to write a lot about how she’s not actually scary aggressive. She gets very overly excited on occasion when I stick the masstick to the glass and I worry she might flip out of the tank. I was really hoping folks might have some ideas on how to keep that from happening.

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much you can do about it. The female clowns will start to get more aggressive and territorial the closer they are to breeding age.

Just wait until she starts laying eggs then you'll see how aggressive she'll get LOL.
Be glad you don't have a pair of maroon clowns. My buddy who had a 1000g tank had a pair that actually made him bleed every time he sticks his hand any where near their rock.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I def didn’t mean to deter anyone from clowns — I love my 2 and tried to write a lot about how she’s not actually scary aggressive. She gets very overly excited on occasion when I stick the masstick to the glass and I worry she might flip out of the tank. I was really hoping folks might have some ideas on how to keep that from happening.
Trust me... I long ago decided I wouldn't have clowns from all of the stories I read. Your story didn't turn me off them. :) They are such cute/beautiful fish. Everything I read said members just try to give them space (and wear gloves). :) Another member mentioned holding a fish net in one hand to ward their clown off while they put food in with the other hand. This might not work if it takes two hands to stick the food in. Your concern about flipping out of the tank is valid. I had to put a net over an open top FW aquarium because of fish that looked like they were about to jump out. The net made it easy to pull back just a tiny bit so I could put food in unlike a lid where a bunch of the tank is exposed if you have to move it to get your hand in. I'm going to be following this to see if you find something that works.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I love mine too. I just hate sticking my hands in that tank. I usually work one handed and keep them hiding in the nems with a large net. Hoping their aggression subsides when they move into the new tank in a couple weeks.

DinoMagnet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes as stated above they get meaner with age, my mochas never bit me now my female dang near jumps out the water to get me. Doesn’t hurt but the anxiety of seeing a fish trying to cause harm is something else lol

paparoof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to glove up every time I go in my tank. My clown has a surpsingly powerful bite for such a little animal.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wearing a glove is about all you can do. I’ve got about 45 years of clown husbandry under my belt. Female clowns will always “bite the hand that feeds them“ lol…

When they get larger at about the two year mark, the bites can start really hurting, and a big Maroon Clown can draw blood. They get smarter as well. My current big female Darwin Clown knows that her bites don’t bother me when I am wearing the gloves, so she does not bother me when I am wearing them. If she sees a bare hand, she will nail me if I even dip a finger in on her side of the tank.

OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wearing a glove is about all you can do. I’ve got about 45 years of clown husbandry under my belt. Female clowns will always “bite the hand that feeds them“ lol…

When they get larger at about the two year mark, the bites can start really hurting, and a big Maroon Clown can draw blood. They get smarter as well. My current big female Darwin Clown knows that her bites don’t bother me when I am wearing the gloves, so she does not bother me when I am wearing them. If she sees a bare hand, she will nail me if I even dip a finger in on her side of the tank.
Yeah, the gloves have been the solution to nips for me so I’m not really worried about that. My concern is her almost flipping out of the tank while I put the food on the glass, and ideas on how to avoid that happening.

paparoof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure there's much you can do there - you have to take off the lid to put your arms in, and there will be a chance they can jump out. So maybe just mitigate it as much as you can, put towels down around the tank to soften the landing somewhat in case they do jump. If you see it happen, just pick em up and put em back in the tank.

I would expect that if they survive their first jump, they'll be less likely to do it again.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bunch of clowns I tell ya
ZomboMeme 01062021124105.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Typical trait of clowns in general. Females greedily try to eat most of the food that gets into the tank (which is one reason the males don't grow as large). They will often aggressively protect their home, whether that be an anemone, a nesting site, a clay pot or the entire fish tank. If it attacks your hand when you're trying to clean the glass or it won't let any other fish near its spot, you most likely have a female clownfish.

OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typical trait of clowns in general. Females greedily try to eat most of the food that gets into the tank (which is one reason the males don't grow as large). They will often aggressively protect their home, whether that be an anemone, a nesting site, a clay pot or the entire fish tank. If it attacks your hand when you're trying to clean the glass or it won't let any other fish near its spot, you most likely have a female clownfish.
Definitely exactly like her w/the food. I do sneak the little guy and the blenny (though that fatty doesn’t need it lol) some extra when she’s focused on the masstick.

I also have three dwarf Indian puffers in a FW setup that miraculously matured to be 2 females and 1 male — perfect ratio. The male is like double their size now and the same way w/food. I will turn my back for one second and look again and the male is chasing the females away from the feeding cone to claim ALL the food for himself. I’m like, who do you think you are! Haha

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back