Managing PH with kalkwasser dosing WITHOUT a controller?

OP
OP
BanjoBandito

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As it should be.

I'm a die hard limewater/kalkwwasser only user for 20 years, but it has limitations that are not present when using a high pH two part. :)

There are potential reasons to pick limewater over a two part, but pH is not one of them. :)
Lol. I’ll do some research. Kalk never failed me yet!

jiggysmb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried other solutions but recently went back to the more reliable Kalk as my wataer changes cant keep up with CA consumed. It seems to settle out in any automated method, so I have just been mixing up a small water bottle with RO and 4 tablespoons of kalk. Every morning/evening I shake and add 5 ml to the sump. Not sure what to do if I am gone for more than a day but keeping an eye here for ideas.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried other solutions but recently went back to the more reliable Kalk as my wataer changes cant keep up with CA consumed. It seems to settle out in any automated method, so I have just been mixing up a small water bottle with RO and 4 tablespoons of kalk. Every morning/evening I shake and add 5 ml to the sump. Not sure what to do if I am gone for more than a day but keeping an eye here for ideas.

SO you are dosing a limewater slurry. Some folks do that, but IMO, it risks three things:

1. Undissolved particulates landing on delicate organisms
2. Undesirable impurities not settling out
3. Variability in the amount of solids actually delivered

The second concern is mitigated by using a good quality calcium hydroxide.

A two part may be a better choice if saturated limewater alone is not adequate.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not true.
I've been dosing kalk for over a decade and it's great for what it does. Sounds like you might need to educate yourself a little...
Yup. Unless your using a stirrer without a safety backup, or dosing slurry, as Randy wisely pointed out above

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BanjoBandito here is another option for you to try.

@Randy Holmes-Farley hates it but it works.

A warning though it is labor intensive, but it might help you bridge the gap. I used it successfully for 6 months until I tired of the work it needed and switched to a CaRx.

There are issues on the CaRx that I knew I would have to solve. That was the reason that I went the Kalk route. When I got the CaRx I solved some of the major issues that were causing me grief, so that I could successfully use it. If you decide you want to go the CaRx route I can help.

OP
OP
BanjoBandito

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BanjoBandito here is another option for you to try.

@Randy Holmes-Farley hates it but it works.

A warning though it is labor intensive, but it might help you bridge the gap. I used it successfully for 6 months until I tired of the work it needed and switched to a CaRx.

There are issues on the CaRx that I knew I would have to solve. That was the reason that I went the Kalk route. When I got the CaRx I solved some of the major issues that were causing me grief, so that I could successfully use it. If you decide you want to go the CaRx route I can help.
I will look at this, thank you!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this information. I don't want to buy a cheap ph monitor and want to wait to get an apex. This is good information even though I plan on starting with kalk slow.

You're welcome.

That sounds like a fine plan.

It is rare for pH to get too high using limewater/kalwkasser to maintain alk, and would generally be in tanks with less aeration.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back