Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 174 45.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 131 33.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 57 14.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 20 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.3%

• Total voters

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That I am sure is a OSHA violation due to a slipping potential….i try to remember to throw down a towel when working on the tank….and sometimes half way through I’m really for the BF to bring me a towel cuz ooops
Hard to towel up a tank bursting at the seam

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randomfishdude
1716598456823.jpeg

Mine actively tries

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to towel up a tank bursting at the seam
Nope that’s a job for a shop vac and a crafty bucket funnel system…

Tank growing up did that…it was a race to get tank water into garbage cans and rescue fish…..200 gallons of water trying to escape to the floor fun stuff at 1 am

ReeferZ1227

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol PPE flip flops ….im general bare foot once im home. Even walking in and out of the garage while I was breaking rocks up to glue them back together….should have worn sandals those little pieces of rock had me cursing lol
Yeah, no way im steppin barefoot on those crumbs. Be worse than legos.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My foxface got to big to catch by hand so I use a net now.

The other big danger is Super Glue Gel, and I have ruined more trousers wiping glue onto the right leg just below the front pocket, I have to check my pants if I am going out and don't want to look like a homeless person with stuff smeared all over my jeans.

I also started regularly wearing long gloves, mostly to avoid polluting the tank but also to minimize transfers of microbes from the tank into my other system. :cool:

Found Footage Video GIF by Eternal Family
:face-with-spiral-eyes:

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to choose other because my biggest concern wasn't listed. All of the natural risks are manageable, but I worry most about ghosts, demons, and spirits. There just aren't enough products in the reefing hobby to deal with these pests.

Clanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Palytoxins, fish that sting, electricity and water, and many other dangers lurk in our reef tanks. Sometimes reef keepers pay careful attention to these risks and other times reef keepers hardly seem to take any precautions at all. What about you – do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank? Please tell us about your aquarium risk-based habits and feel free to share any best-practices with the R2R community!

kruley_palyzoa.jpeg

Photo by @kruley

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.deltecdirectusa.com

Deltec_Logo.png

“With dozens of protein skimmers, calcium reactors, media reactors and kalkwasser stirrers in operation, Deltec USA can speak from experience and help you with all your Deltec needs. Live customer support and a large inventory of products rounds out our mission to provide the best possible Deltec experience.”
The major danger are clownfish ,esp my 3.5 inch clarkie , savage enough now to draw blood and once or twice actually locked on ...I'll take the risk with palys any day in comparison ha

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The major danger are clownfish ,esp my 3.5 inch clarkie , savage enough now to draw blood and once or twice actually locked on ...I'll take the risk with palys any day in comparison ha
Seriously. Mine follow my hand out of the tank! Evil fish! And they don’t stay on their side. They will go all the way to the other side just to bite me.

Clanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously. Mine follow my hand out of the tank! Evil fish! And they don’t stay on their side. They will go all the way to the other side just to bite me.
Disney is a LIAR, portraying them as little cuties ,you don't find nemo, he/she finds you !!!

Operation Philo Beddoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Palytoxins, fish that sting, electricity and water, and many other dangers lurk in our reef tanks. Sometimes reef keepers pay careful attention to these risks and other times reef keepers hardly seem to take any precautions at all. What about you – do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank? Please tell us about your aquarium risk-based habits and feel free to share any best-practices with the R2R community!

kruley_palyzoa.jpeg

Photo by @kruley

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.deltecdirectusa.com

Deltec_Logo.png

“With dozens of protein skimmers, calcium reactors, media reactors and kalkwasser stirrers in operation, Deltec USA can speak from experience and help you with all your Deltec needs. Live customer support and a large inventory of products rounds out our mission to provide the best possible Deltec experience.”
The electricity is always something that I think about. What if a heater gets a touch of water and it can literally kill you on the spot.

I dont worry at all about palytoxin unless im cutting one.
Me too, I gave a few tangs a serious case of HLLE in QT. Had stray voltage, it really messed up my tangs. I use those $15 ground probes on all tanks now. If your heater or other equipment shorts,, it should trip the breaker due to the water being at ground potential. When I originally figured out what the problem was, I measured 52 Vac :(

Operation Philo Beddoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had one hit the back of my hand, deflect out of the tank against the wall and onto the hardwood floor. She learned a lesson for like 6 months on that one. Black/white female, she a big girl

SueAbu

Forever Newb
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess this post/question was a great opener. I'm certainly thinking about the risks NOW.

Reading things here and in other threads has me concerned. Can my tank "poison" me from just living it? My main reef tank is in my bedroom and I have zoas and perhaps a paly that made the journey from a box store purchase. I've never had a reaction when working with frags or rocks, but wonder if toxins off-gas from the water, across the room, while I sleep

Maybe I'm just looking for reasons, other than age, for health issues

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had clownfish bites that have broken the skin, but the most damage is usually done when I get surprised and yank my hand back and hitting something in the process. :oops:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 73 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.6%
Back