Balancing the chemical compounds in your reef: Do you pay attention to the nitrate-phosphate balance?

Do you pay attention to the nitrate-phosphate balance?

• I test and compare the results.

Votes: 125 39.2%
  • I test them both but don’t really compare the results.

Votes: 135 42.3%
  • I don’t test for nitrates and/or phosphates.

Votes: 39 12.2%
  • Who is Redfield anyway?!?!

Votes: 24 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 9 2.8%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Balancing the chemical compounds in your reef: Do you pay attention to the nitrate-phosphate balance?

It seems like there used to be a lot more of a focus on the balance between nitrate and phosphate. While the Redfield ratio (comparing carbon, nitrogen, and phosphorus) is occasionally mentioned, it doesn’t appear to be a common point of discussion. When the relationship between nitrate and phosphate is brought up, I have heard ratios of 16:1, 15:1, 10:1, and more. Regardless of what ratio that you use, do you pay attention to the nitrate-phosphate balance in your marine aquarium? Please let us know your experience and any tips that you have to share with the R2R community!

YourAmigoJake_HannaCheckers.jpeg

Photo by @youramigojake

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.deltecdirectusa.com

Deltec_Logo.png

“With dozens of protein skimmers, calcium reactors, media reactors and kalkwasser stirrers in operation, Deltec USA can speak from experience and help you with all your Deltec needs. Live customer support and a large inventory of products rounds out our mission to provide the best possible Deltec experience.”

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm similar, I test but don't compare. I would go crazy trying to keep N & P at certain ratios on 3 systems. On my 180g as long as N is 20 or less P 0.1 or less I'm good. My two smaller tanks are more hands on as I'm growing out acro frags. I dose bactobalance on both and zeobac in one and MB7 in the other. These two I just try to make sure N & P stay above zero.

EDIT: I meant less than 1.0 for P ussualy the 180 is 0.3 - 0.6

Last edited:

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test but I dont really care about the ratio.
My last test was NO3 22 and PO4 .33.
As long as my NO3 stays over 10 and PO4 reading above .07 I'm usually happy.

But in the last 6-8 months they have all been elevated and the tank is doing fine so why mess with it.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ratio of 16:1 is Redfield Ratio which is for phytoplankton only.

I have sent Gracilaria Hayi for testing at a regional agriculture lab. It’s N:p ratio was 32:1

P-2. Routine Plant Tissue Testing​

$29.75 USD​

This is a great entry point for plant testing! Send us a sample, following directions for your individual crop. We’ll test your sample for nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, magnesium, sulfur, zinc, iron, manganese, copper, boron and molybdenum. You’ll receive a complete report of your results, allowing you to adjust management techniques accordingly.
VIEW SAMPLING PROCEDURE

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ratio of 16:1 is Redfield Ratio which is for phytoplankton only.

I have sent Gracilaria Hayi for testing at a regional agriculture lab. It’s N:p ratio was 32:1

P-2. Routine Plant Tissue Testing​

$29.75 USD​

This is a great entry point for plant testing! Send us a sample, following directions for your individual crop. We’ll test your sample for nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, magnesium, sulfur, zinc, iron, manganese, copper, boron and molybdenum. You’ll receive a complete report of your results, allowing you to adjust management techniques accordingly.
VIEW SAMPLING PROCEDURE

High concentrations of available nutrients do not grow more, however, any one insufficient mineral will limit growth.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never even heard of Redfield until the other day when I was reading a thread where ratios were mentioned.
My NO3 runs mid to high teens and my PO4 fluctuates between .1 and .3.

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t pay attention to the balance but when I do a water test, I notice from reading others post. I see mine is online with ideal and best results for coloration and growth

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short answer......No.
Long answer.....Nooo!

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never even heard of Redfield until the other day when I was reading a thread where ratios were mentioned.
My NO3 runs mid to high teens and my PO4 fluctuates between .1 and .3.
The ratio has no relevance in keeping coral tanks . If your tank is doing well in those parameters, then there is no reason to change anything.

Badboyan93l

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well a person that's been battling with High phos and Nitrates. I no longer aim for the redfield anymore. I still have .75PPM nitrate (hanna flashing) and could never get it down using tons of methods. The only thing I can control is the GFO, so I keep it around 0.09 - 0.3. No longer above .03, why? because anything above will slow down SPS growth. High Nitrates keeps my corals super colorful. :)

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test my phosphates and nitrates consistently, but dont care about maintaining any sort of ratio. My previous tank ran high nutrients and hovered around 30ish ppm nitrate and 0.15ish phosphate, it grew lps and sps corals just fine. My current tank has the opposite problem and my nutrients hover around 10ish ppm nitrate and 0.05ish phosphate. It grows lps and sps just fine lol. Ive learned it doesnt really matter where you nutrients are at (within reason), just keep it consistent and your livestock will adapt.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back