Managing your nitrates using a color chart is a j o k e

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up until 4 weeks ago, I've been mildly managing my nitrates for years using this color chart that we're all familiar with

IMG_8018.JPG
image1 (1).JPG

What an amateur subjective test relying on keen eyes to differentiate colors

I've been doing myself a major disservice relying on my eyes to play "the matchy match game" with colors. What a joke.

For the last year I thought I was hovering around 10-20ppm...cool I mostly have zias/palys

Didn't know I was actually DOUBLE that at around 40 to high 50s after purchasing a Hanna nitrate checker. Seriously??

I was unknowingly slowly poisoning my zoas/palys with as much as high 50s ppm of no3. Pure Ignorance bc of subjective tests.

Hope when I go in for cancer screenings the Lab Tech is NOT trying to differentiate between 5 color patterns :rolleyes:

I'm not here to sell Hanna Checkers but man'o'man ISN'T KNOWING YOUR TRUE NO3 LEVELS A MAJOR COMPONENT TO SUCCESS?!?

I can't believe all the color chart test kits are structured in a way where it's oretty much up for subjective interruption of individual users. What a joke...

I'm now a huge Hanna nitrate checker believer. Believing their colorimeter can be accurate within 2% of my true no3 levels

Your thoughts?

The new hr nitrate hanna checker is great, 1 reagent, 7 minutes. The old lr was no fun, happy to chuck it.

Last edited:

FiddlersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And then there's people like me who are a bit red-green color blind. Technically not really color-blind, since I DO see the different colors, i.e., I don't see black in place of red. But put two shades of red or red/green side-by-side and I really have to study it to see the difference. But blues I evidently see much, much more vividly than the average person. So yeah, color matching tests suck. I have to have a digital test to avoid bugging my wife constantly to verify what I think I'm seeing against a card.

I use the Hanna checkers for almost everything for that reason. If I could get something that was perfectly accurate for every parameter, I'd seriously consider getting it.

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And then there's people like me who are a bit red-green color blind. Technically not really color-blind, since I DO see the different colors, i.e., I don't see black in place of red. But put two shades of red or red/green side-by-side and I really have to study it to see the difference. But blues I evidently see much, much more vividly than the average person. So yeah, color matching tests suck. I have to have a digital test to avoid bugging my wife constantly to verify what I think I'm seeing against a card.

I use the Hanna checkers for almost everything for that reason. If I could get something that was perfectly accurate for every parameter, I'd seriously consider getting it.
My son is color blind, and will even mix up some greens, purples, and oranges. His doctor insists on calling it a color deficiency, which is certainly more accurate. But the poor kid can't see the leaves change in autumn, and he definitely can't help me read my test results.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got that, I was just curious what “normal” is for you.
Oh ok sorry. I thought that you believed I was trying to say that there is a level that everyone should try to get.
My tank fluctuates from about 1-4. When it gets down to around 2 I dose it back up to closer to 5. I don't chase numbers (for nitrate at least) in my tank but I do have to be careful that it doesn't fall to 0.

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new hr nitrate hanna checker is great, 1 reagent, 7 minutes. The old was no fun, happy to chuck it.
If you read the instructions close enough you can shake the vial for 2 minutes with reagent in there and checker waiting on C2.

I do the 2min shake, then let air bubbles settle out for 30secs, then insert, then hit C2

Last edited:

RGoltz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used the term "normal" in referring to the amount of nitrate that MY tank typically runs at. I in no way was using the term "normal" to imply that there is a specific nitrate value that others should run their tanks at. I feel like you are nitpicking my choicing of wording by pointing this out, since I went back and re-read my post and it seems clear to me that I was referring to what my nitrate level generally is.
I think maybe what the poster is trying to understand is what “most people” consider normal levels. But beyond that one should also understand that there are different methods typically employed for each “reference range”. I would say:
  • 0-1ppm is ultra low nutrient levels
  • 1-5 is low nutrient
  • 5-15 is sort of “normal nutrient”
Of course I am only stating NO3 but also assuming that PO4 is managed in some ratio the individual prefers.

But that’s just my opinion.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think maybe what the poster is trying to understand is what “most people” consider normal levels. But beyond that one should also understand that there are different methods typically employed for each “reference range”. I would say:
  • 0-1ppm is ultra low nutrient levels
  • 1-5 is low nutrient
  • 5-15 is sort of “normal nutrient”
Of course I am only stating NO3 but also assuming that PO4 is managed in some ratio the individual prefers.

But that’s just my opinion.
I perhaps got a little defensive too quickly. He was asking what normal was for me, he cleared it up on post 64.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you read the instructions close enough you can shake the vial for 2 minutes with reagent in there and checker waiting on C2.

I do the 2min shake, then let air bubbles settle out for 30secs, then insert, then hit C2
Right you are. Point is, easier than the lr checker and no colors to compare.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly only care if I don’t have the slightest hint of color on the salifert test. I’ve had hanna checkers be way off too (alk and calcium especially).

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of Hannas sealed single pack reagents.... the only negative I have about using Hanna fir no3 is the single use packets are as much as a $1 a test.

An obvious money grab where the cost of the single pack to Hanna is probably 1-2 cents per pack

If I test 2x a week.... thats $8/month.... $96/yr

But it beats losing hundreds of dollars in zoanthids bc I don't know my no3 within +/- 5%

I think I spent $12.50 per 25 pack of these! 50 cents is okay with me.. especially given what a nice test it is.

I will say that I think the sweet spot for Hanna are the single addition tests. Alk, po4,no3, etc. This business of having to run the calcium test through a .45 micron filter reeks of effort. I don't hate my current calcium kit (red sea).

I did the seachem iodine test last night and wished there was a good Hanna solution for that.

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up until 4 weeks ago, I've been mildly managing my nitrates for years using this color chart that we're all familiar with

IMG_8018.JPG
image1 (1).JPG

I've been doing myself a major disservice relying on my eyes to play "the matchy match game" with colors. What a joke.

For the last year I thought I was hovering around 10-20ppm...cool I mostly have zias/palys

Didn't know I was actually DOUBLE that at around 40 to high 50s after purchasing a Hanna nitrate checker. Seriously??

I was unknowingly slowly poisoning my zoas/palys with as much as high 50s ppm of no3. Pure Ignorance bc of subjective tests.

Hope when I go in for cancer screenings the Lab Tech is NOT trying to differentiate between 5 color patterns :rolleyes:

I'm not here to sell Hanna Checkers but man'o'man ISN'T KNOWING YOUR TRUE NO3 LEVELS A MAJOR COMPONENT TO SUCCESS?!?

I can't believe all the color chart test kits are structured in a way where it's oretty much up for subjective interruption of individual users. What a joke...

I'm now a huge Hanna nitrate checker believer. Believing their colorimeter can be accurate within 2% of my true no3 levels

Your thoughts?

so how have you're zoa's been doing over the year? has there been an improvement since?

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using the Red Sea nitrate test prior to getting the Hanna HR Nitrate checker. I think it actually worked pretty well at lower ranges but in my current tank where nitrate is often over 20 it became an annoying color guessing game so I, for one, welcome our new Hanna overlords!

jgsolo32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_8018.JPG
image1 (1).JPG

Your thoughts?

being partially color blind doesn't help. I have a hard time with all colors. lol

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_8018.JPG
image1 (1).JPG

Your thoughts?

I’m with you. I just received my Hanna nitrate checker and I thought I was happily at 15-20ppm with Salfiert And my new Hanna said I was at 37ppm. The range is just way to wide for slight color variation. Will only use Hanna for now on!

Back