Managing your nitrates using a color chart is a j o k e

zdstrong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Hanna that much more accurate? I understand it will give consistent reading as there is no human eye. But it’s still a hobbies grade test probably using the same reagents as other test kits.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol you crack me up.
Hey, if you feel your Sailfert test kits are accurate and reliable - don’t let me stand in your way. The Hanna digital tests are significantly more accurate (and less infallible), and I do have several brands of titration kits as well that I periodically use to keep my Hanna “honest”.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll stack Nyos up against Salifert any day of the week for nitrate and phosphate testing. If you haven’t used both you won’t necessarily appreciate the difference.
I'm not saying that the Nyos isn't a good test kit, I'm just saying that with the ability of the salifert to look through the vial both ways it is a very usable test and much better than the API. You said the problem with salifert is the 25-50 range but for my tank I use it as a 2.5-5 range.

All of this is kinda silly since we are talking about a test that usually doesn't need to be very accurate anyway. I don't personally care if my nitrates are 2 or 5.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Hanna that much more accurate? I understand it will give consistent reading as there is no human eye. But it’s still a hobbies grade test probably using the same reagents as other test kits.
They’re less open to interpretation, so lighting and what one color may look like in different conditions isn’t a factor.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not saying that the Nyos isn't a good test kit, I'm just saying that with the ability of the salifert to look through the vial both ways it is a very usable test and much better than the API. You said the problem with salifert is the 25-50 range but for my tank I use it as a 2.5-5 range.

All of this is kinda silly since we are talking about a test that usually doesn't need to be very accurate anyway. I don't personally care if my nitrates are 2 or 5.

Haha exactly!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agreed. Anything over 25 is really pointless for most of us, as whether it’s 35, 50 or 100+ doesn’t really matter - it’s still way too high.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re less open to interpretation, so lighting and what one color may look like in different conditions isn’t a factor.

Yet things like placing curvette in same position each time, no fingerprints, no light leaking in through cap, etc are all different conditions relevant to hanna but no most others.

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the salifert as a backup to the HR Hanna. I discovered API is utter garbage this time around.
Did you know API stands for "A Pretty Inaccurate" test? Lol

Confused Trailer Park Boys GIF

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yet things like placing curvette in same position each time, no fingerprints, no light leaking in through cap, etc are all different conditions relevant to hanna but no most others.
Funny you should mention that. I ran 4 alkalinity tests on my Hanna the other night and did just that, ie: different positions each time for the curvette plus fingerprints, wiped with paper towel, wiped with microfibre cloth and wiped with my shirt...

0.37, 0.35, 0.36 and 0.37 (all in ppm). So while it might have a slight bearing, it’s really negligible.

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a deep dive research on this prior to buying Hanna

Accuracy around +/- 2, 3, 4, 5% if:
* glass vial is unstained by washing it immediately after every use
* the vial is heavily wiped/polished with a microfiber cloth to remove any oils from fingerprints.

Meaning glass vial.is to be crystal clear and probably replaced every year due to staining of the reagents.

Last edited:

zdstrong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn’t make it more accurate though. How is it any different than a salifert test? You still don’t know how much no3 you have. Hard to believe your eye caused you to mistake 50 ppm for 10 ppm.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you should mention that. I ran 4 alkalinity tests on my Hanna the other night and did just that, ie: different positions each time for the curvette plus fingerprints, wiped with paper towel, wiped with microfibre cloth and wiped with my shirt...

0.37, 0.35, 0.36 and 0.37 (all in ppm). So while it might have a slight bearing, it’s really negligible.
Wait you got a reading for alkalinity of .37 ppm?
I definitely wouldn't trust your Hanna for alkalinity.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn’t make it more accurate though. How is it any different than a salifert test? You still don’t know how much no3 you have. Hard to believe your eye caused you to mistake 50 ppm for 10 ppm.
Yes it does. A titration test could still be off by as much as +/-0.5 dKH for alkalinity, even if you do everything perfectly. The Hanna will give you 2 decimals, so we’re talking about +/-0.01 dKH.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back