Mandarin Goby gender?

Shadoww

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help identifying this mandarin goby’s sex. It is young so the spike isn’t prominent, but I feel like I am seeing a spike on the dorsal fin so I’m thinking male.

IMG_5996.jpeg
IMG_5997.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help identifying this mandarin goby’s sex. It is young so the spike isn’t prominent, but I feel like I am seeing a spike on the dorsal fin so I’m thinking male.

IMG_5996.jpeg
IMG_5997.jpeg
I’m going for male, a female’s fin isn’t ever that angled. Here’s my female Synchiropus picturatus and you can see her fin isn’t as angled as your male (the same fin occurs in S. splendidus)
IMG_6176.jpeg

Upvote 0

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it’s worth when I go to my wholesaler and I see 50 of these in a tank that are all between half of an inch to an inch and a half even at 1 inch the Finn is half the length of the body but I could be wrong… I guess they always say it’s the motion in the ocean, not the size of the fin lol

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Shadoww

Shadoww

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going for male, a female’s fin isn’t ever that angled. Here’s my female Synchiropus picturatus and you can see her fin isn’t as angled as your male (the same fin occurs in S. splendidus)
IMG_6176.jpeg
Yeah this was my line of thinking. Spike isn't really prominent but nonetheless I see one on it so I think it's a male. Every pic of a female I see there isn't even a pointed edge to the fine, like the pic you showed

Upvote 0

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 55 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 39 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back