Mandarinfish in a nano?

FrugalReeferJon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 2, 2021
Messages
4,721
Reaction score
29,312
Location
San Diego, CA via Charleston, SC
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had long term success keeping a Mandarin Dragonet in a nano tank. Most of the literature I’ve read says you need a 30 gallon tank at the minimum but I’m curious to hear if anyone’s successfully kept them in a smaller tank. Or am I making too big a deal about tank size and it’s the amount of pods available that really matters?
 
Possible? yes. Reccomended? No. You could start a biota captive bred, for sure, but a full grown adult even with supplemental feeding will likely not fare well.

They need to be able to constantly graze cope pods which in a nano (even a mature one) will be depleted quite quickly. You would probably need to have a benthic pod culture with daily additions for long term success.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new