Manderin goby

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

Picked up a manderin over the weekend. Floated for 30 than drip acclimated for a good 30 before adding to an acclimation box in the tank for an hour.

He was breathing very heavy the whole time. He had some stressfull events happen in the store from jumping out of the specimen container to being rebagged so I kind of peg it on that.

I can't find him in the tank - and yes I have a screen top he can't fit out of.

It's a 30 gallon tank do not many spots to hide but I'm questioning if he's dead under a rock or something. Do people find they hide for the first week or so?

Frizzy reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

Picked up a manderin over the weekend. Floated for 30 than drip acclimated for a good 30 before adding to an acclimation box in the tank for an hour.

He was breathing very heavy the whole time. He had some stressfull events happen in the store from jumping out of the specimen container to being rebagged so I kind of peg it on that.

I can't find him in the tank - and yes I have a screen top he can't fit out of.

It's a 30 gallon tank do not many spots to hide but I'm questioning if he's dead under a rock or something. Do people find they hide for the first week or so?
Usually they are not shy I’ve had 2 and both times they immediately started picking at the rocks ....

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually they are not shy I’ve had 2 and both times they immediately started picking at the rocks ....
dang - I thought so too. I'm nervous he's kicked it - and should call LFS to tell them he didn't make it for a hopeful replacement but I'm wanting to give him a little while longer

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another sad post - okay maybe have to lift a rock or two tonight.
“Another sad post”?
I not sure what you mean, I’d lift nothing.
I can’t find this one for days at a time, and she’s 4 years old.
She also jumped out of the tank for maybe 15-20 minutes, on the floor, went back in a little dry, did see again for weeks.
Then one night, seen her pecking.

C2E91B36-EB97-49FC-A387-B8FD68174895.jpeg

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Another sad post”?
I not sure what you mean, I’d lift nothing.
I can’t find this one for days at a time, and she’s 4 years old.
She also jumped out of the tank for maybe 15-20 minutes, on the floor, went back in a little dry, did see again for weeks.
C2E91B36-EB97-49FC-A387-B8FD68174895.jpeg
You said hiding isn't usual. Maybe a typo?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mandarins dont hide very long, they can't hide for days, they need to eat constantly, all day every day. If you havent seen him since the weekend you should try to find it in the tank, I would surprised if it was alive. Good luck

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mandarins dont hide very long, they can't hide for days, they need to eat constantly, all day every day. If you havent seen him since the weekend you should try to find it in the tank, I would surprised if it was alive. Good luck
I got him Sunday and he entered the tank Sunday evening, I will look a little tonight.

gonzo620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think hiding is very unusual. I'm always able to find my mandarin. May not be in the front but he may be cruising behind rocks in the back of the tank. Definitely able to spot him within a minute.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's interesting, because there are are no holes for him to have jumped out - and if I am being honest, there are 3 large rock structures, (2) of which have the ability to easily burrow underneath. One of those is housed by my diamond goby & the other my orchid dottyback. All my fish are pretty docile, so I am not sure where he would have burrowed... Do they even burrow?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think hiding is very unusual. I'm always able to find my mandarin. May not be in the front but he may be cruising behind rocks in the back of the tank. Definitely able to spot him within a minute.
The only time they will stop moving to any extent is at night when they’re dormant (then you’ll find them curled up in a cave or under an outcropping). I’d endeavour to find him sooner as opposed to later.

They don’t burrow and they’re not notorious jumpers. If you have an AIO, did you check the sump?

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time they will stop moving to any extent is at night when they’re dormant (then you’ll find them curled up in a cave or under an outcropping). I’d endeavour to find him sooner as opposed to later.
only 3 rocks to lift - so shouldn't be too hard. Just hope if I find him I don't restart the stressed stage

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've added loads of copepods ahead of adding him to the tank, and I am setting up a breeder
Assuming he survives, he’ll clean out your tank in short order. You may want to try experimenting with calanus, ROE and brine through a baster.

I have two Mandarins who’ve adapted to eat a wide variety of food: calanus, nutramar, ROE, brine, blood worms, mysis and the larger one even eats pellets.

So while I do have pods (and occasionally replenish), it’s not their primary source of food.

gonzo620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a healthy cleanup crew. It may be difficult to find. Between the pods bristle worms and hermits. A small fish can be stripped pretty quick. I had a potters angle years ago I could catch in time. Powder Blue tang nipped his tail fin completely off over 2 days of introduction. Then it disappeared. 2 days later only bones.
B548A415-524F-426A-8EB4-B9F7D09A5DD1.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back