Mangroves

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know the legality of collecting seed pods floating down the canal in my back yard in South Florida and keeping some for my sump and selling some

FloridaEsq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Florida Mangroves are a protected species. it is illegal to collect the pod (I believe) . My neighbors have been fined for removing Mangrove trees from there property.

FloridaEsq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Florida the Mangrove is a protected species, it is illegal to remove them. My neighbors have been fined for removing them from there own property. So collect the pods with caution. I bought mine from reef cleaners even though I have them in my canal too.

Sorry redundant post

OP
OP
brett_schn

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Florida Mangroves are a protected species. it is illegal to collect the pod (I believe) . My neighbors have been fined for removing Mangrove trees from there property.
Yes but this is the gray area in the law. U can’t remove the tree but you can have someone come in with a permit to do it. Seed pods have fallen off by natrual means so that’s why I’m wondering

FloridaEsq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have reviewed FWC Chapter 68F-20 and it does not specifically speak to pod collection. I do believe you would need a license to sell the pods.

Tyler_Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the propagules are 100% legal to collect, as long as you find them off the tree, I don't think you need a permit to sell them either

Tyler_Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Also who is ur sorce
I don't have a source I just know that's how it is, it's like collecting leaves from a tree once the propguales fall off. I doubt anyone would prosecute you for having little mangroves

Tyler_Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I’m 14 so that will probably also give me an edge
I'm only 16, you can get jail time for owning wild bird feathers that have fallen on the ground. Although funny thing is I don't get cops knocking on my door everyday to see if I have a little blue Jay feather

FloridaEsq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just trying to let you know what the law is. I would probably be considered a good source for that. While FWC wont knock on your door, if you are selling a product of a protected species you may come in contact with Law Enforcement, Is it worth the risk? Just my two cents.

OP
OP
brett_schn

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just trying to let you know what the law is. I would probably be considered a good source for that. While FWC wont knock on your door, if you are selling a product of a protected species you may come in contact with Law Enforcement, Is it worth the risk? Just my two cents.
I’ll call them. Also I’ve never seen them in my area bc they are all at the inlet.

JoeIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke to a FWC agent on this topic a few years back at a reef club meeting. They stated that collecting the propagules is perfectly legal as far as they are concerned.

I spoke to a LFS Saturday who told me during his inspection he was told that while FWC had nothing against collecting propagules or owning them, the department of agriculture might take exception to him growing and possibly selling mangroves without an agriculture license. How this affects you having some at home, I do not know. IMO, collecting and growing for "personal use" shouldn't be any different than any other local plant?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 18 78.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back