Manifold DIY

ReefZ1lla84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hey so I was wanting to build a pvc manifold for my sump. Just wondering if anyone had some advice for me before I do this maybe some pics also. Thanks

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey so I was wanting to build a pvc manifold for my sump. Just wondering if anyone had some advice for me before I do this maybe some pics also. Thanks
Nic, what are you looking to operate off this manifold? Are you using your return pump or a second pump to power the manifold? Do you have the tools, ie Sawzall? How experienced are you at working with pvc? It's not difficult to solvent weld but there are tricks to the trade that will come in handy.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
53A7898A-F860-4402-9D77-E2F3F0C6A04F.jpeg
DDDD9CA7-8BD3-41F1-890D-8868CB49B16A.jpeg

Not the best photos (sorry), but basically a PVC “T” pipe with a ball valve or gate valve (greater control over flow) coming down off your main return line can act as a manifold, and run things such as recirculating protein skimmers, carbon reactors, etc. Hope this gives you some ideas. :)

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FlexPVC sells spigot Tee's. They are T's where one side of the top is the same outer diameter as PVC pipe, so you can run them straight into a coupler, or another T. This lets you densely pack the outputs and not need to deal with tiny little pieces of PVC pipe. I have a picture of a small manifold I built with some in my build thread.

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FlexPVC sells spigot Tee's. They are T's where one side of the top is the same outer diameter as PVC pipe, so you can run them straight into a coupler, or another T. This lets you densely pack the outputs and not need to deal with tiny little pieces of PVC pipe. I have a picture of a small manifold I built with some in my build thread.
I know lowes sells spigot fittings as well I'm sure they sell spigot T's. But this is a great idea, spigot fittings save you room and also making modulation much simpler!

NaH20nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s how I’m running mine. Set one up to turn the Cheato in the refugium and one each for independent control over carbon/gfo reactor. I’m not gonna lie. For a novice plumber it was a few hours work. But iI leak tested and zero leaks. Kinda surprised myself actually.
9215813865181ae2684be27c8b7862f7.jpg

I’m running one return pump, 1” off the pump with a 1x1x1/2 T to the manifold and a 1x1/2x1/2 T to the two return lines going to the display tank. My flow to the DT is solid (better than expected) but I’d say (best guess) about a fourth of what the pump is rated for. Works for me tho cuz I am only shooting for about 3-5x’s tank turnover in the sump.

OP
OP
ReefZ1lla84

ReefZ1lla84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nic, what are you looking to operate off this manifold? Are you using your return pump or a second pump to power the manifold? Do you have the tools, ie Sawzall? How experienced are you at working with pvc? It's not difficult to solvent weld but there are tricks to the trade that will come in handy.
Hey thanks for replying yea I’m pretty sure I could build it fine and I have a Carbon reactor and one return pump was thinking about having a back up return pump and maybe doing another reactor of some sort. Just wondering if I should use flex and pvc together.

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my manifold. I currently only run my carbon reactor on it but would like to use it for more down the line 4 gate valves and 2 ball valves on each side. It’s all with Teflon tape as well so I could take the gate valves off it needed

image.jpg

Popeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back