Mantis or Pistol Shrimp

eraml

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing some quick reading - believe I have a Mantis Shrimp - pics and video attached.

How do I go about getting this out of my tank?
I have 2 clowns and 2 bangaii cardinals currently in the tank.

Like rock is KP Aquatics - have had it since mid May. Pic #1.jpg Pic #2.jpg

Atomicus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kpmaquatics rock 50 lbs. it had BOTH mantis and pistol shrimps and they are still in tank. If you leave rock sitting on the white egg rate plastic over a 5 gallon bucket some tines the pistol shrimps come out but not the mantis shrimps.

OP
OP
eraml

eraml

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump

Any input on if I have a Mantis or Pistol shrimp?
Advice on best way to catch it?

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything I have read says to remove the live rock and put it in a QT. If that's not possible there's a bottle trap you can make by inverting the top of the bottle to create a funnel aimed down (See Below). Place food inside at the base of the bottle and the shrimp wont be able to find the way it came in.

1594815672981.png

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottle trap works perfectly for mantis. Never had Pistol shrimp go into a bottle trap. The Mantis shrimp I have caught have been crushers, not spikers (or what ever name you give them)

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see your video but I’ve had a pistol shrimp from KP rock for nearly 2 years and have never seen it. Hope the bottle trap works out for you, report back what you catch!

OP
OP
eraml

eraml

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird - video is just from my iPhone. Maybe has to be downloaded? Have never posted video on here before.

Yesterday was the first time I saw the shrimp, had never seen it in the past 2 months.

I setup the bottle trap last night with some frozen fish food, but nothing this morning.
Seems like my nassarius snails ended up having a feast.

Will reload the trap with new food - does it make sense to reload during the day? Or just set it up over night?

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like it needs to be near the hole it's hiding in, I want to say they hunt during the day. They are opportunistic though and wait for something to come near its den. That one looks like one from the Caribbean so it wont get massive like a peacock or the above mention spearing ones.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s probably not your video @eraml , I can’t see any videos from an iPhone unless a YouTube link is provided.

OP
OP
eraml

eraml

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input/help

Know where he is hiding, just reset the trap with some fish pellets and mysis shrimp and placed by his rock.
Saw the little guy poking his head out from the his hole towards the trap, will see if he goes in.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to post a pic when you get him! Even though they’re considered a pest in this hobby, they’re still pretty cool.
Thanks for the input/help

Know where he is hiding, just reset the trap with some fish pellets and mysis shrimp and placed by his rock.
Saw the little guy poking his head out from the his hole towards the trap, will see if he goes in.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mantis shrimp, which are actually amphipods, have incredible eyesight. They actually have the most complex eyesight on the planet. They’re also very skiddish. I’d leave the tank and check back in a few hours. He will make his way into the bottle when he feels safe. It’s like the jerks of the tank know when we want them gone and hide even more LOL
Will do - it is quite small.
Went about halfway into the plastic bottle, but got scared and jolted out of there - so close!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back