Mantis Pair, but for how long?

alprazo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a female mantis to my male. First separated in the same tank and about a week ago I let her free. Initially, they avoided each other but by the next morning, they were sharing a burrow. It has been a week. They have created two burrows but 90% of the time they are together in the same one. I have seen zero aggression thus far. The species is Gonodactylus chiragra.

Will they continue to cohabitate or will I end up finding one or both dead from fighting?

Thanks for input/advice. A picture of the two is below.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2wiQzRsE...ZSufavgCEwYBhgL/s1600/IMG_20180106_205347.jpg

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Bump for more info!! I'm curious if she's like the widow and will kill him when she's had her way.......

OP
OP
A

alprazo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" framweborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TheMantisman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monogamous smashers? First I'd ever heard of it before...

Monogamous spearers? Yes there are some...

I use to have a "pair" of G.graphurus which I use to allow to mate but I always separated them after the mating because ALL the reading I've done and the people I've spoken to have told me that there are no monogamous smashers, they will co-operate until 1 gets hungry and can take advantage of the other to kill it and my two were always to 'precious' to me for that risk to be allowed however they did share a tank which was split in half via double sheet of snug fitting eggcrate so they could both see/taste each other.

When they both approached the wall together clawing for each other I would remove the wall and let them mate but always place it back after.

She was half his physical size but always 'dominant' even use to steal his rock burrow and block it up after, even though he could of easily over powered and killed her at will he never did but I also never let my guard down either.

EDIT: I'd put money down that 1 will eat the other when 1 attempts to molt.

OP
OP
A

alprazo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No molting yet, but they are still together and share a space the majority of the time. It has been around 6 weeks so far. I guess time will tell but will update if something changes.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back