OP
TheMantisman

TheMantisman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing bud, I find this forum is a little less interactive than RC, but I like the forum layout 1000x better, and @revhtree is the man.

Well the last response I got on my thread on RC was almost exactly 1month ago (May 5th), so far this forum has been FAR more engaging!

Terance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello :)

Some may already know me (from ReefCentral) most likely don't know me.

However I am a Mantis Shrimp Publicist in the form of High Quality photos and High Quality videos of which I create through a lot of time, effort and expenses, I do not use mobile phones to photograph or film my mantis shrimp but high quality camera equipment that I have purchased to specifically capture mantis shrimp in all the ways I possibly can.

It's my intent to keep all my photos / videos uploads to a specific area, a.k.a this particular thread/post itself to make it easy for anyone interested in browsing will have it all neatly in an easy to find location.

Just curious if the fine people of this small 'Invert' group within this forum would be interested in myself posting my photo and video creations specifically and solely of Mantis Shrimp?

Below are a couple of samples of my most recent works, I hope to find a friendly and accommodating community here to share my hard works with! :D

MwE4wRd.png

SM_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic work! I love watching your videos, I'm very glad you are doing research with Stomatopod sp. They are by far the most fascinating creatures on this planet imo!

OP
OP
TheMantisman

TheMantisman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video! I had read about what they do but never seen it! Really facinating.

Thanks for watching! :D
Many people are confused with how the mantis works because they move so fast!

Fantastic work! I love watching your videos, I'm very glad you are doing research with Stomatopod sp. They are by far the most fascinating creatures on this planet imo!

Well here is another video that I JUST finished up! :p

OP
OP
TheMantisman

TheMantisman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something is off with this Peacock Mantis but it should be clear enough to see... :D

If not then take notice of the animals Right Claw/Dactyl/Hammer, it is significantly smaller than its Left Claw/Dactyl/Hammer, this is because it at some point in the not so distant past, lost its Right Claw/Dactyl/Hammer which could of been from a few reasons...It might of lost the Claw/Dactyl/Hammer due to a 'bad molt'. If after a molt an appendage of the animal is 'mutated' or not functioning properly the animal will tare it off and discard it (not before eating what it can from it though) because Mantis Shrimp (long before Bruce Lee) came up with the statement 'Discard the Useless, Retain the Useful'.

Another circumstance might of been predation, perhaps the animal was fighting for its life and during the conflict whilst attacking the predator it thrust its arm into the hungry predators mouth, in this situation the mantis would of contorted itself to use the leverage of the trapped Claw/Dactyl/Hammer in the predators mouth to snap it off and escape.

One thing that didn't cause the Claw/Dactyl/Hammer to be removed was 'over use', as I mentioned in an earlier post, if the animals hammers start to really get broken down from so many strikes it will prompt the animal to molt on the whole, it will not remove its Claw/Dactyl/Hammer if they are damaged from 'over use' because they can still serve even though they might be damaged they still operate properly, which circumvents back to my first point, a possible bad molt with a mutated Claw/Dactyl/Hammer might of been the cause for its removal.

Nonetheless mantis shrimp are crustaceans and like all crustaceans they will regrow their lost appendages through molting, the only part a mantis shrimp cannot regenerate is their eyes which is why they protect them so defensively.

0xwgdRu.png

OP
OP
TheMantisman

TheMantisman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smashers & Spearers can both Smash & Spear!

Mantis Shrimp are typically categorized into 1 of 2 major groups, Smashers (those that punch with a blunt force with short range) and Spearers (that the impale with a sharp edge at long range).

But what most don't actually realize is that BOTH smasher & spearer can in fact perform the secondary action a.k.a Smashers can still Spear and Spearers can still Smash!

Check the two videos below for examples of a Smasher impaling prey and a Spearer punching prey.

CalebWBrink2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These vids are dope. I'm looking forward to seeing the crab fight back! I'd imagine that whenever the mantis strikes the crab, the area under its shell just becomes mush from the pure force of the collision.

OP
OP
TheMantisman

TheMantisman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These vids are dope. I'm looking forward to seeing the crab fight back! I'd imagine that whenever the mantis strikes the crab, the area under its shell just becomes mush from the pure force of the collision.

Well the inside of a crab is already 'mush' because their only rigidness is their exterior / shell once that is penetrated its very vulnerable, a crabs shell is a humans skeleton, we brake an arm that arm is useless, they crack their claw that claw is useless.

hxZ4wgL.jpg

yJ0LRiq.jpg

ruSAa62.jpg

OP
OP
TheMantisman

TheMantisman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to attempt something different tonight, I've caught a few small reef fish to tempt the mantis shrimp with so people can see (hopefully) how a mantis shrimp goes about hunting and bringing down fish, if I'm lucky I'll get to see the Peacocks utilize their crude 'spear' to impale the fish in order to capture it because typically smashers use their Hammer to tackle 'hard bodied prey' and only bring out the Dagger when confronted with a 'soft bodied prey'.

A LOT of people are not aware of a smasher mantis shrimps ability to stab and this is by FAR the most dangerous aspect of the animal and can cause serious harm to unaware fingers.

EXAMPLE:

Peacock Smashers Vs Giant Spearers - Appendage Movement Speed.

Peacock Smashers have been recorded at swinging their 'hammer' at speeds of 40m/s
However
Giant Spearers typically swing their spear at speeds up to 4-8m/s

Basically a Giant spearer doesn't have the speed/force behind its spear to really penetrate human skin, but it might 'scratch' having said that a Smasher mantis that opens up its hammer to form the crude dagger not only has the speed/power to penetrate human skin, but bury the hammer to the 'hilt' this WILL require surgery to remove because of the reverse barbs on certain species of smashers (like Peacocks) this is the most dangerous aspect of the smasher mantis to make it worse...

Mantis shrimp are one of if not the most intelligent crustacean, they know the anatomy of crabs and where to strike for greatest effect with least energy (1 strike = major damage, rather than punch punch punch which means a lot of spent energy). What does a human finger look like to a smasher mantis shrimp? A crab leg, where does the smasher mantis strike a crab leg? The joint.

So if the worst case scenario were to happen...a peacock mantis would strike your finger WITH its dagger open AND drive it in between 1 of the joint on your finger, that is a very serious and painful wound and because of the reaction that will likely follow, the receiver of the strike will 'freak out' and rip their hand from the tank snapping off the hammer and further embedding it within the finger between the joint which means an absolute surgical removal will be needed.

OP
OP
TheMantisman

TheMantisman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow love the videos! I have enjoyed everything you have posted on here so far! Can't wait to see more!
Well I try to post at least something (photo / video) everyday to keep people engaged :D
For the past 10yrs I've been trying to 'forge' my own 'niche' rather than hop on the bandwagon of other 'niches' (cars/girls/etc) its not easy but I have succeeded slightly but I still feel there is a lot more to be 'made' from this but I can't do it alone, which is why I share everything I do and encourage others to share it as well because that is the ONLY way the world will learn about the animals.

What I do is only half the work (albeit the hardest half) the other half (which is effortless really) totally depends on the viewers / followers to spread the word and the only thing I can do to encourage that is by making the best photos / videos that I can! :D

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really interesting stuff! Thanks for sharing your work. I've actually been wanting to get a symbiotic shrimp and goby pair to keep in a dedicated 10 gallon tank. Do you offer advice on which species to get and pair? I know nothing at this point and have yet to start my research.

OP
OP
TheMantisman

TheMantisman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really interesting stuff! Thanks for sharing your work. I've actually been wanting to get a symbiotic shrimp and goby pair to keep in a dedicated 10 gallon tank. Do you offer advice on which species to get and pair? I know nothing at this point and have yet to start my research.

I can't really tell you what is best for a pistol goby pair up... I'm the Mantisman not the Pistolman :D

Having said that the most common Pistol / Goby pairs I have seen are the yellow watchman goby (Cryptocentrus cinctus) and the red striped pistol (Alpheus randalli).

OP
OP
TheMantisman

TheMantisman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A kind of 'Reef Crab' (Carpilius convexus - I think...)

Found in the beach last night when looking for Ghost Crabs, I think it got washed ashore because of the waves I didn't think it was going to make it but today it was hard to get a photo because it was so active :D

W08CSSK.png

m9ahMUl.png

Back