Mantis Shrimp Mayhem

Terance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a bit of an Update I know I haven't posted in a while and its because I am currently back in Australia and running my Steel Milling Shed however I intend to be back overseas A.S.A.P. to commence filming and photography again!

I don't like doing this (going AWOL for X time on YouTube) but I need to do it for Finances because I cannot yet support myself 365days a year JUST doing what I do with the Mantis Shrimp but I am close...very close and when that day comes it will be everyday 365 mantis shrimp (and more) videos and photos! :D

Your patience is appreciated! :)

OP
OP
TheMantisman

TheMantisman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit of good news :)

I'm actually starting to consider "wrapping up" overseas...but not to stop anything, to move forward faster with my 'ultimatum' the large rebuild back here in Aus, simply because then I will never have these "down time" periods and can upload everyday not to mention there will be other 'weird' creatures being filmed and photo on top of the primary mantis shrimp.

Will update here with confirmation on whether or not I'll just start building up back in Aus now, it's a LOT more expensive to build in Aus on the sole basis that I won't be going "bare minimal" in the build like I did overseas (because I had fresh clean seawater meters from the tank), the skimmer alone for this Aus Build is 6ft tall and 1ft internal diameter, mostly because of the other "weird" creatures needs and being less hardy than stomatopods, either way no mantis shrimp ever complained of above average water quality! :D...

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wicked man, maybe there is research grants or universities you can team with.

OP
OP
TheMantisman

TheMantisman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wicked man, maybe there is research grants or universities you can team with.

Oh I can fund it all no problem I was just being a little show offy, lol....

Research Grants / Universities etc etc they are all just going to put restrictions on me as I would be giving up control, what makes me unique is the ability to be able to fund myself on this level which means I don't need to answer to "higher powers" that would typically be the financial supporters of such projects.

There are no strings on me... :D

OP
OP
TheMantisman

TheMantisman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not fully aware of the rules of "advertising" on here so I shall tread carefully with just this post and see what comes of it.

What's in the boxes?!?
Ever wanted something truly unique
and exotic that can relate to your

passion for Mantis Shrimp!?!

t9uQl9k.png

coming soon...;)

Terance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well as they say curiosity kills the cat. You disappear then come back with more suspense of waiting. Never really seen these shrimp til posted now you have me interested. So what s in the BOXES!!! Lol

OP
OP
TheMantisman

TheMantisman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few more simple diagrams detailing the overall build that is soon to come! :D

All in all it will be over 2000L and have a space of around 3m Long x 1.4m Wide x 1.6m Tall.

z0eP3ps.png

lR6m8U1.jpg

Mhqfq8A.jpg

Going to be one intense system when its all up and running! :D

Bob3655

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is one of the coolest threads ive stumbled on in a while. I kept a small spearing zebra in a dedicated tank for about a year in a DSB, and had a ton of fun watching, feeding, and interacting with it. I was surprised at what an extremely intelligent and fast creatures they are, I could watch them for hours. The personality is definitely there, mine had burrows all over the tank and loved to spend a majority of the day with just its head and spears sticking out from the burrow waiting for the next unsuspecting victim. Unfortunately one day that system sprung a leak in a seal and there was no way I was going to put it in my mixed reef so I took it into the lfs and donated it to a good home. I cannot wait to see your new setup and look forward to more pics and vids to come soon hopefully. Thanks for sharing with us :D

OP
OP
TheMantisman

TheMantisman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still here!
Mantis ain't got me yet ;) LOL

I just been quite busy on another end of my life, which effectively supports this end of my life (mantis things), which is what I do as a day job (mechanical engineer) and since this new mantis build (which is 110% happening lol) is extremely...extreme I need to ensure it's 'perfection' as it is representing many things but also the culmination of a decades work with these animals in tanks under my care and the countless errors (and some wins) that I made during that time.

Any chance of reviving this thread? :) or perhaps is there another location I could view these stellar photos and videos?

Careful what you wish for...

The problem isn't reviving the thread xD...

The problem will be the thread soon taking over O_O cause I ain't building all this and buying all these crazy cameras to NOT post pictures and videos dangit! XD

But patience is a virtue :)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 54 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%

Back