Mantis shrimp missing an eye.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t believe an eye will regrow as the shrimp molts but maybe one of you know for sure.

This was delivered today from a very reputable store. If it will regrow then fine but if not then what would be the consensus about the expectation of some sort of resolution? Should I expect a lower price for a blemished specimen?

The pics are of the mantis in my invert QT. I’ve got a 40 breeder that is being set up as it’s forever home in the fish room.

6BB39730-4657-4D3A-B257-ABB1A55992D1.jpeg EAA52657-6874-401E-8DE7-C501015EEDFE.jpeg

Ding2daDong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not 100% sure but I don't think they regenerate an eye if it's lost. I remember a friend of mine had one that lost a battle with a crab and it never regained the eye.

Full refund. If the eye wasn't floating around in the bag when it arrived it means they knew it was missing an eye when they sent it to you.. No bueno.

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not 100% sure but I don't think they regenerate an eye if it's lost. I remember a friend of mine had one that lost a battle with a crab and it never regained the eye.

Full refund. If the eye wasn't floating around in the bag when it arrived it means they knew it was missing an eye when they sent it to you.. No bueno.
The only things in the bag were the mantis, a little sand (very little from netting at the store I suppose), and a 6” to 8” length of PVC. Didn’t see any “parts” in the bag and I did notice the eye missing while in the bag.

Here is a close up that shows an obvious injury that I suppose caused the loss of the eye.

045DC668-4BF6-433C-B21F-CC0018873C64.jpeg

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would at least expect half off. Your going to have to name it willy with all seriousness I hope he does ok, still a nice looking animal
I emailed the seller before this post just explaining the condition of the mantis. Interested to see what they suggest as a reasonable resolution.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No clue on the eye but I'm wondering if a 40b has thick enough glass to be safe with a mantis?? Maybe thicker glass or an acrylic tank would be safer?

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No clue on the eye but I'm wondering if a 40b has thick enough glass to be safe with a mantis?? Maybe thicker glass or an acrylic tank would be safer?
From what I’ve read the bottom glass is vulnerable when they go to digging a burrow. They start smashing the bottom glass trying to dig deeper. I’ve read that providing a pvc cave helps to keep them from doing this.

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m glad you kept him, he’s beautiful! Almost like an albino peacock mantis would look. Curious as to what species he is though! I’ve never seen any like that! I wouldn’t worry about the glass breaking. They really don’t hit it enough to crack it but you could put an acrylic sheet at the bottom over the glass if you were worried

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a quick look through all the species on the list and I think it’s one of these two: https://ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropod...ostraca/royslist/species.php?name=o_cultrifer

https://ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropod...ostraca/royslist/species.php?name=o_japonicus if it’s the japonicus, I’m jelly!

edit: no it’s more like the first one now that I look again
I bought it listed as a peacock mantis. I know it doesn’t look like what I see most peacocks looking but hadn’t found anything similar yet.

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a quick look through all the species on the list and I think it’s one of these two: https://ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropod...ostraca/royslist/species.php?name=o_cultrifer

https://ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropod...ostraca/royslist/species.php?name=o_japonicus if it’s the japonicus, I’m jelly!

edit: no it’s more like the first one now that I look again
We need someone to translate. It looks exactly like the pic on this site.

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need someone to translate. It looks exactly like the pic on this site.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back