Mantis shrimp (Odontodactylus scyllarus) tank

RyanSweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of building a 40gal breeder that will be species specific for a peacock mantis shrimp. I will drill the 40 and install a 3/4in drain, return, and emergency drain. I have already built the sump (2 section, 20gal long), that will have a skimmer, return pump, and ATO. No plans to put a refugium or macro in the sump at this time. I will have appx 3 inches of sand for the mantis to build burrows, with rock rubble. I do have 3 pieces of live rock with mangroves rooted throughout them that will be on one end of the 40gal display, but that will be the only other thing that's "live" in the tank. There will be lights on that end of the tank for the mangroves, but they will be angled to leave the other end dim since mantis are photosensitive.

I'm wondering what a good protein skimmer for this setup would be? I know mantis can be a "dirtier" critter to house but would I need something oversized? I have an swc 150 hanging around, would that be too large?

Also, any experienced mantis keepers out there, please feel free to throw any info or suggestions my way. I've researched about as much as I can but I definitely welcome experience!

bios

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonderfull animal had pavonis one.. it come to eat over my hand
Have in the tank with corals and no issues only i feed it 3 time for a day

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great set up. That skimmer is a bit large for a 40, but if you can get in dialed it should work out just fine.

Hilltop Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a reef octopus 110 on my 47 gallon cube mantis tank and it works good

TheMantisman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always just recommend the same thing for any marine tank when it comes to the protein skimmer.

Get the biggest your wallet can afford! :D

My new build in the future is actually using a monster 6ft tall skimmer with 1ft diameter because I can afford it and because it gives me a lot more working room for creatures like Mantis Shrimp.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back