Mantis Shrimp or Mysis Shrimp

  • Thread starter Thread starter MONTANTK
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 9, 2020
Messages
1,951
Reaction score
1,716
Location
Buffalo
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen quite a few molts from this guy in my old tank. Found him by chance when I was transferring fish over so I decided to throw it in the new tank. Can’t tell if it’s a super tiny zebra mantis or just a pretty large mysis shrimp.

BDDD81A7-3B00-4FF6-882E-C62C2BA5C4B8.jpeg
 
Looks like one very big Amphipod
 
Prob a copepod
Hard to tell from the pic
D
Ah I hadn’t though of that! The molt kind of looks like a tiny mantis shrimp when I see it but I’m not exactly an expert of copepod/shrimp anatomy. I only suspected mantis shrimp because of how long it has avoided being eaten
 
Yup a big amphipod. I have hundreds of them in my tank crawling all over the rocks and sandbed. The mandarins are hardly making a dent. Then again those mandarins are kinda dumb as I sometimes see pods crawling practically in front of their faces and they won't see them.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new