Mantis Shrimp or not

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: Has anyone successfully kept a mantis shrimp in a mixed reef.

A little Backround: Started my tank 6 and a half month ago, put 50 kg live rock in. I discovered after a few weeks a pistol shrimp, so i thought all this clicking was coming from him.
6 month later and i discovered a new hole in the live rock and something moving in it. After paying attention to the hole for a few days it became clear it is a approx. 1 inch mantis shrimp of light brown color, a smashing mantis bdw.
I got snails, other shrimp, crabs, hermits, fish, corals and a lot more in the tank. The biodiversity of the rock is mindblowing.
So far i have lost 1 hermit early on, 2 trochus snails and a firetail goby disappeared. The hermit and snails got eaten by a big mithrax crab that i removed a few month ago, no losses since then. The firetail may have jumped through the netting and got eaten by my dog, don't know.
Studying the mantis the last 2 weeks i never see him leaving his hole, he only sits at the entrance head sticking out.

keatonmjenkins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will eat anything that it can catch. Some fish might be okay but any ground dwelling fish are not compatible. It’ll eat all your snails, crabs, hermits and shrimps.
I used to keep one in a mixed reef tank with fast swimming fish and they were fine.

spoons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will eat anything that it can catch. Some fish might be okay but any ground dwelling fish are not compatible. It’ll eat all your snails, crabs, hermits and shrimps.
I used to keep one in a mixed reef tank with fast swimming fish and they were fine.
Bro some mantis have different personalities my doesn’t care about any fish like goby’s and clowns

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back