Manual 2 part dose

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After about 2 years it looks like I need to turn in the kalk and upgrade to 2 part. Goal is to get a doser set up in the next month or so, but I’m the mean time I’ll need to manually dose.

For the alk, it’s looking like I’m going to need to dose 60+ ml liquid soda ash mixture daily.

I’m planning on doing 30 in the morning and 30 at night. Is that enough to spread it out or will I need to do 3 20s?

OP
OP
ReefJCB

ReefJCB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to know either the tank volume, or better yet, how much that is in dKH per day.
120g display 40g sump, My guess is about 120g total water volume when you take out rocks and sand.

My calculations are about 1dkh a day. I should know more in the next few days. I’ve taken kalk out of ATO to get a better idea on my daily usage.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much you dose at a time will also be dictated by what duty cycle your pumps can handle. I read on the BRS site a number of years ago about them not recommending running their's for up to an hour as they can heat up, and this will prematurely wear them out.
I was dosing up to 120mls/daily on my last tank and had the timers set for 12x/day. I alternated the Alk and Ca 1 hour apart.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
120g display 40g sump, My guess is about 120g total water volume when you take out rocks and sand.

My calculations are about 1dkh a day. I should know more in the next few days. I’ve taken kalk out of ATO to get a better idea on my daily usage.

if you are adding 0.5 dKH twice a day, I think that is ok, but more spread out is better.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I went to a carx on my 120 I was dosing 45ml of esv 2 part in the morning. Alk first then cal 10 minutes later with no issue. It did raise my alk about 0.8 after the add with no appatent effect on the tank.
That was what my tank used in 24 hrs.
I would spread out the adds if possible too.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding you should also dose soda ash after your lights are out.

That is true from a pH perspective, but not from an alk stability perspective since most alk is consumed during the day.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I went to a carx on my 120 I was dosing 45ml of esv 2 part in the morning. Alk first then cal 10 minutes later with no issue. It did raise my alk about .08 after the add with no appatent effect on the tank.
That was what my tank used in 24 hrs.
I would spread out the adds if possible too.

Is 0.08 a typo? That is dKH?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back