Marbled Cat Shark Possible Flukes?

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My marbled catshark has been scratching a little bit not often at all once or twice a day. He is eating every other day shrimp soaked in selcon and he doesnt move much with the lights on but I have a lunar light and when thats on at night he does not stop swimming. Anyway I've moticed a little bit of red on his stomach (not from sand it's very fine) and the scratching as mentioned. Also a little white stringy thing (flatworm I presume) on top of his head. His breathing appears fine. I also only have him and a clownish in this tank that isn't showing any symptoms of flukes.

Snapchat-602556252.jpg

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to see but just a very thin white stringy thing. Noticed it just today, I have prazi pro on hand. What would be the best thing to do if it is flukes?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from the pictures. Marbled Catsharks have very sensitive skin and it can be irritated by coarse substrates. Those scratches can become infected. The sand in the pic looks pretty coarse. Something like Fiji Pink is best.
Are you giving the fish iodine supplements (most shark supplements have iodine added)? This fish needs them to be healthy.

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from the pictures. Marbled Catsharks have very sensitive skin and it can be irritated by coarse substrates. Those scratches can become infected. The sand in the pic looks pretty coarse. Something like Fiji Pink is best.
Are you giving the fish iodine supplements (most shark supplements have iodine added)? This fish needs them to be healthy.
The sand is fiji pink lol and I have just started to give mazuri shark vitamins.

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only had the shark for 2 weeks, i suspect he couldve had the parasite before reaching my tank like I said it's just him and the clownfish in there. Sand is not the problem thats a fact.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only had the shark for 2 weeks, i suspect he couldve had the parasite before reaching my tank like I said it's just him and the clownfish in there. Sand is not the problem thats a fact.
Best of luck with your very cool fish. ;)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back