Marco Rock In Tubs w Cor Alg Spores

Reeflux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping I can get some advice on my procedure here. Any help is appreciated!

I'm 60% done with my build, so I'm preparing ahead of time for the tank and it's bio filtration.

I got some Polypropylene Tubs and put my aquascaped marco rock inside. I know PP isn't quite as good as HDPE because its heat threshold, but for 90 days max I figured it wasn't a big deal.

I'll dose microbacter start and ammonia and leave it for a month with a powerhead on, set at 80 degrees with no light.

But now I'm thinking (because i have time) why don't I get Coraline algae spores in here early also.

Plan would be to wait the month for stable water parameters and the cycling of the tank, then I'll add an affordable led light and dose pink helix spores.

Given this process will be fishless, I shouldn't require a filter?

With no fish, I understand what I really need to pay attention to in this process is my alkalinity. If I'm dosing ammonia like this, those reactions with the bacteria are releasing acid as they do their work, and wrecking havoc on the waters ability to buff out the ph.

What's a safe and easy way to maintain alkalinity during this process? Airstone?Or should I not even worry about alkalinity at this point, dose ammonia as directed and wait it out. I don't really want to get into additives unless I have to. I feel like it's a slippery slope. But I don't want to wait 8 months for Coraline algae growth either.

Any advice on keeping bad algae out of this system during the growth of the Coraline would be appreciated as well. I guess this is a big issue too.

I just have them sitting in saltwater covered right now with heat and movement. I haven't put the plan in motion yet. Welcome to suggestions.

20210206_090038.jpg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some aragonite substrate and use it for passive alkalinity buffering, provide oxygen & circulation with an air stone.

OP
OP
Reeflux

Reeflux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy enough....I thought that at one point. But I discarded the idea because I didn't want to transfer all that crap from the Tubs to the tank.

It shall be done!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back