Marco S Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL Build

Whip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't get a good measurement where it is at the moment, but from what I can tell it is right about 45". That would mean that it would be a very tight squeeze and the cord would be bent right up against your cabinet. It looks like 47" would be the sweet spot so the cord would have a little room and not be bent.

I was actually planning on taking it apart this weekend to clean the bulb housing and can give you a better measurement then.

That would be great. Thanks!

BRS says it is 43-3/4”, but the wiring harness complicates things.

OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be great. Thanks!

BRS says it is 43-3/4”, but the wiring harness complicates things.
Not sure where BRS is getting the 43 3/4" from. Even the manufacturer has 44" on their website. I am getting 44 1/2" from the bottom of the UV unit to the top of the wiring harness. 45" would be enough to fit it with the power cord bent at a 90 degree angle from my measurements. It should fit snug in your cabinet. If you can angle it slightly downward on the side of the power cord it may buy you a bit more room.

OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while since I have added to this so I figured it was time for some new toys...

IMG_1922.JPG
IMG_1923.JPG
IMG_1921.JPG

I got the Neptune DOS and FMK as well as the Red Sea mesh lid and will be putting in some work on the tank this weekend. I really wanted to get an acrylic lid, but could not justify spending so much on a lid when I could be spending that money on coral and the Red Sea lid will serve the exact same purpose for much less.

I will update once everything is installed.

On a side note: I cleaned out my protein skimmer thoroughly also and it wasn't nearly as tough as I thought it would be. Here are some pics of my clean protein skimmer...
IMG_1884.jpg
IMG_1886.jpg

Looks like I just took it out of the box!!! ;Happy

OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while since I did a tank update so I figured I'd do one now. It's been going really slow since I am QTing all my coral and inverts for 76 days, but I do have a few corals in my DT now and my QT is doing great! ;Happy

Here is an update on my coral QT...

And here is an update on my DT...

OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever get your AI Prime Frug light dialed in? If so what settings are you using?
I did, but my Cheato was already dying so it just grew GHA all over my sump, (it did a great job at that though) so I turned it off. I will probably give it another try with clean algae from AlgaeBarn so I do not have to QT it for 76 days. I think that the 76 days with little to no Nitrate is what eventually killed it and not the lighting, but my lighting was as follows:

IMG_2058.PNG

And I ran this starting when my DT lights went out until they came back on.

Tang22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my stand glued together and emptied my Sump to clean it out today. The stand fits perfect and even though it doesn't look as good as the Reef Octopus one, it was 1/3 of the price and it allows me to keep the refugium divider at the farthest setting. I am happy with it.

Here are some pics:
SkimmerStand4.JPG
SkimmerStand5.JPG

Time to fill her back up.
Hi Marco S. Hoping you can help a fellow reefer out. I just bought a 750xxl. My LFS advised that the Reef Octopus Regal 250INT is probably better for my tank. Can you offer your impressions of how the 200INT is working for you? Do you feel you need more skimming capacity? Also the 250INT is a 16.5”x11”. If I did get that model it would ‘just’ fit as the dimension from the sump section to the baffle wall is exactly 11”. From your pictures the pump intake would be resting almost right up to my baffle wall. Do you think that’d be a problem? Tks.

OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Marco S. Hoping you can help a fellow reefer out. I just bought a 750xxl. My LFS advised that the Reef Octopus Regal 250INT is probably better for my tank. Can you offer your impressions of how the 200INT is working for you? Do you feel you need more skimming capacity? Also the 250INT is a 16.5”x11”. If I did get that model it would ‘just’ fit as the dimension from the sump section to the baffle wall is exactly 11”. From your pictures the pump intake would be resting almost right up to my baffle wall. Do you think that’d be a problem? Tks.
I would not recommend going any bigger for your tank. The 200 is more than enough and probably too much for the 750 XXL. I have a really hard time getting any Nitrate or Phosphate and I seriously overfeed my tank. I have to feed my coral religiously or they start to die due to not having any measurable Nitrate or Phosphate at all. I am currently testing shutting the Skimmer off for a couple days a week to get my Nitrate and Phosphate to even register on any test, but so far I still have 0 Nitrate and 0 Phosphate.

Tang22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not recommend going any bigger for your tank. The 200 is more than enough and probably too much for the 750 XXL. I have a really hard time getting any Nitrate or Phosphate and I seriously overfeed my tank. I have to feed my coral religiously or they start to die due to not having any measurable Nitrate or Phosphate at all. I am currently testing shutting the Skimmer off for a couple days a week to get my Nitrate and Phosphate to even register on any test, but so far I still have 0 Nitrate and 0 Phosphate.
Thank you. Your input is appreciated. If I might ask, what is the bio load in your tank now? Do you have any other forms of nutrient export or a large amount of sand rocks, or bio blocks?

OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Your input is appreciated. If I might ask, what is the bio load in your tank now? Do you have any other forms of nutrient export or a large amount of sand rocks, or bio blocks?
I am currently stocked pretty heavy and I feed very heavy. I do realize most of my Tangs will need to be moved soon and I do have plans for a much larger home for them so please reserve any judgements on the amount of Tangs I have in a 750 XXL. :)

Current stock:
2 large Clownfish
2 large Bangaii Cardinals
1 One Spot Foxface - 6"
1 Achilles Tang - 6 "
1 Powder Blue Tang - 5 1/2"
1 Blue Hippo Tang - 6 1/2"
1 Purple Tang 5 1/2"
1 Naso Tang 5 1/2"
2 Bluethroat Triggers 5"
1 Coral Beauty
1 Neon Dottyback
1 Blackcap Basslet

I have around 180 lbs of rock and two big Bio Bricks as well as a bunch of small Bio Balls I used to seed my QT Tanks. I do have sand, (about 2 inches) and I use filter floss instead of socks and the sponge that goes between my Protein Skimmer section and the return section. I tried to do a refugium about a year ago, but it all died due to lack of Nitrate and Phosphate so that is all I have as far as nutrient export.

Edit: I guess I should add the coral and inverts also. Most of my good stuff, (like $4k + in torches) have died because of my lack of nutrients but I still have some coral that is thriving.

Coral:
1 Very large Blasto colony
7 smaller Blasto's
1 smaller Japanese Toadstool Leather
2 Ricordiea Mushrooms
1 Medium Hammer
2 small Hammers
1 Very large GSP, (I know this is a weed...but I like it)
1 medium Candy Cane

Inverts:
100 Nassarius Snails (give or take)
12 Turbo Snails (Very large ones)
8 Trochus Snails
2 Conchs
2 Cleaner Shrimp

Anemones:
1 Very large Black Widow
2 Large Rose Bubble Tips
1 Large Acid Wash Bubble Tip
1 Small Rose Bubble Tip.

I think that covers everything...:)

Last edited:

Tang22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Marco S thanks for taking the time to reply with such a detailed post. No judgements here! I am upgrading to the 750 for a reason. =)

It looks like you have a great setup going. I love the Achilles tang. If it’s not too much trouble would you mind sharing a picture of the tank? It sounds great.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back