Marin Lab & Triton May 2018

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I received My ICP results back from both Marin lab & Triton. Both samples were taken and sent in May, two weeks apart, with one 10% water change between.
The tank is very new, a few months. I intentionally have my NO3 & PO4 elevated slightly, as I transferred over my little Dino friends from my last tank.
The Dino's are gone as of now, have a touch of cyano on the sand, but not overly worried about it atm, as the tank is still getting groove on. corals are looking fairly good, could be a touch better with colors, fishes are happy and fat.

what I am curious the most about are the Li & CU. I am assuming the LI maybe from the dry rock and materials used to cement the rock, but the copper has me.??
Should I be overly concerned with zinc or anything else?

Ill order some detox to have on hand, for the copper etc..
(one of the tests says 2017, that was just the register date)
thanks.

Attachments

• Triton May 2018.pdf
    119.2 KB · Views: 153
  • Marin Lab May 2018.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 120

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lithium is not a concern. Many people (myself included) have higher levels than you, and probably from the salt mix. It is not a very toxic compound. It can't be removed by ordinary binders that I am aware of. It looks almost exactly like sodium ion, so won't bind to most things that sodium doesn't bind to. I'd ignore it.

Copper is much more toxic, but probably isn't high enough in your tank (at 6 ppb) to cause a problem. I have 10-15 ppb the first time I measured it myself (but years later when Triton did a test, found none). Still, I'd probably look to remove the source, or use a product like cuprisorb or metasorb or a boyd polyfilter.

OP
OP
chefjpaul

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lithium is not a concern. Many people (myself included) have higher levels than you, and probably from the salt mix. It is not a very toxic compound. It can't be removed by ordinary binders that I am aware of. It looks almost exactly like sodium ion, so won't bind to most things that sodium doesn't bind to. I'd ignore it.

Copper is much more toxic, but probably isn't high enough in your tank (at 6 ppb) to cause a problem. I have 10-15 ppb the first time I measured it myself (but years later when Triton did a test, found none). Still, I'd probably look to remove the source, or use a product like cuprisorb or metasorb or a boyd polyfilter.
Sounds good.

I just thought that LI was a weird one, now if my stocks in LI start taking off, well be in business!!

Yeah, they're (triton), recommending dosing all kinds of minor things, iodine, strontium, molybdenum, vanadium, manganese....

I'll probably just change water a bit more often for awhile.

Thanks Randy.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of those minor addition might be useful (or not). I'd approach each as an experiment to see if it is useful. Of the ones you list, my money is on vanadium, manganese and molybdenum. :)

OP
OP
chefjpaul

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of those minor addition might be useful (or not). I'd approach each as an experiment to see if it is useful. Of the ones you list, my money is on vanadium, manganese and molybdenum. :)
Ok..... Sounds like fun actually, better than chasing dinos.

Get some research and reading up on these done, & Ill go for it.

The suggested dosages are so minimal, so it will be interesting. Since their supplement bottles are 100ml, they should last a life time anyway.
[emoji2] [emoji2]

Frogger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Marin Lab test shows your Cu and Li to be fine, whereas the Triton test has them elevated with the copper through the roof.
How would the copper get so high? I am assuming the Triton was done after the Marin Lab test.
Could this be test error on one of the two companies?

OP
OP
chefjpaul

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Marin Lab test shows your Cu and Li to be fine, whereas the Triton test has them elevated with the copper through the roof.
How would the copper get so high? I am assuming the Triton was done after the Marin Lab test.
Could this be test error on one of the two companies?
That was one of my concerns and why posted both, Also why I tested within the same month, just to see variations.

The AL was a concern with marinlab where Triton was fine.

Only thing I was dosing was seachem nitrogen and seachem phosphorus.

Rodi is 0. Very adamant about keeping that impeccable. I do have an rodi sample being tested just to reassure.

Triton was done two weeks after.
One water change in between.
AF salt. No other supplements, dosing etc.

All equipment is new.

I Don't know enough to know.[emoji2] ....but Ill find out.

Ill keep updating the things I adjust.

I ordered some metasorb & (cuprisorb to have).

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since their supplement bottles are 100ml, they should last a life time anyway.[emoji2] [emoji2]

Their Boron one comes in the milk jug and leaked on me, the iodine is a nice 100ml plastic or glass bottle that will last a long time.

OP
OP
chefjpaul

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their Boron one comes in the milk jug and leaked on me, the iodine is a nice 100ml plastic or glass bottle that will last a long time.
Yeah, I'm putting an order together now.
Mainly for the trace base supplements.

I guess It's developing into a cross - AF / Triton aquarium.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back