Marine Crab Aquaculture / breeding

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Nemz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6437c393fc5646762e832b330db874d0.jpg

[Disclaimer: I don't know if I'm posting this in the right form as this seems more like an article than a discussion]

I have recently caught some wild Crenate Crabs/ Blue Powdered Crabs. After a couple of weeks went by and I notice that they are mating. The female then starts fanning her "apron" which is weird as there will clearly be no eggs instantly. So I suppose she is removing the male's fluid? Idk I haven't experience with these species.

Anyways here are fact for any who would trying out.. (These are mainly for tide pool typed crabs, so don't expect an Emerald Crab to have the same, most tide pool crabs are aggressive but make cool morphs and colors in the wild)

1) Most crabs CANNIBALIZE one another, this is mainly the negative side of aquaculturing crabs. To avoid this, you can either have a very big tank with more rocks to dwell in

Or (if you are late into this) separate every single crabs once you notice signs of mating. I did this as you can see from above with a floating basket to separate the couple from cannibalizing.

2) If you notice two crabs living together in one "cave", it's most likely that they are going to pair up and mate.

3) It's their nature that they kill one another for food or for fun, but mainly to show dominance. If you notice crabs fighting for mate, it's best to separate them already even though it stops the crabs from mating.

If you want to instantly get them to mate, it's best to let the males fight off as its a natural way to attract the females. (It may cause lost in limbs etc.)

4) identify age and race. By race I mean color pattern, some crabs look darker or more colorful than others which can cause a separation socially. There is nothing you can really do except sorting them out depending on age or race before they get bullied.

5) When spawning happens, turn off any filters as they can kill the planktonic baby crabs. Use air pumps instead.

6) don't expect the 100,000 eggs to live. Mostly 30 will survive more or less.

--

Hope this helps the minor numbers of you who are interested.

OP
OP
Nemz

Nemz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, don't just catch them from the wild without thorough research. Their population might be at risk. And also check on your local authorities.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 32.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back