Marine mites on macro algae, how to get rid of?

Juju2773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I ordered some dragonsbreath macro algae from one of the better known sellers on ebay. It arrived in a small plastic jar and with the naked eye it appeared fine. The jar lid says quarantined & inspected.
I rinsed it with clean tank water and put it in my refugium. That night when my light came on i noticed what looked like extremely fine webbing on it . I used my flipper magnifying lens to get a closer look and was horrified to see many many tiny dots on that webbing . It is marine mites right? Thats the only thing that does this webbing?
Anyways... i am hoping someone could tell me if a freshwater dip would kill the mites as well as the eggs?
I did immediately pull it out and did a 3 minute fresh water dip. It seemed to kill most of the mites but i can still see some dots. Must be eggs or some of the mites?
Heres a couple of pictures zoomed in before the dip. Im not even sure its safe for the algae to dip it. Id hate to do it repeatedly

20230521_074345.jpg 20230521_074352.jpg

OP
OP
Juju2773

Juju2773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P.S. its a brand new HOB refugium. New water, nothing else in it. So the macroalgae had to come with them already on it.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't tell by pictures but copepods and amphipods are desirable for the aquarium. Are these perhaps the two types I mentioned? Not familiar with marine mites as I have never encountered them.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah those are likely just desirable pods. You basically run a refugium with the intent of creating a place for them to thrive.

OP
OP
Juju2773

Juju2773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lots of amphipods & copepods in my main tank. These are definitely not those. Pods do not build webs almost like spiderwebs. These look like ugly hairy little spiders under the magnifying lens

OP
OP
Juju2773

Juju2773

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im hoping someone may know anything about freshwater dipping macroalgae.. is it safe? How long? Will it kill mite eggs? Thanks

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back