Snowfall of mites?

accidental_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I’ve had a tank holding coral frags for about six months. After putting a drop of KZ’s Coral Vitalizer and Amino Acids LPS, I turned off the pump and and turned on low blue lights when I noticed a pocket of mites/pods that were blooming/trickling down in one corner of the tank and now it looks like snowfall throughout the tank.

They’re really small and I can’t take a clear picture of them. With the pumped turned off, most of them seem to be just drifting down although there are a bunch that look as if they are microscope tadpoles hopping/dancing across the water.

The last time I dosed pods (from Algaebarn) was months ago and I’ve seen no sign of them since (and they also appear larger than whatever else is in the tank now). I have only standard CUC in the tank. The tank is by my desk so I stare at it all the time and this is the first such appearance.

Any possible theories on what they could be? Should I suck them out as a potential danger?

These are the best pics I could get.

IMG_4056.jpeg IMG_4058.jpeg

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm betting it's larvae of a curstacean. Crab, shrimp etc. Any chance you can catch and magnify?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back