Marine motion measurement: Is there a place in the reef hobby for flow meters?

Is there a place in the reef hobby for flow meters?

• Yes, I use a flow meter with my reef.

Votes: 27 19.7%
  • Yes, I don’t have one installed, but I think it would be useful.

Votes: 65 47.4%
  • No, I think there are enough other ways to determine flow.

Votes: 42 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%

• Total voters

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I voted yes, because I'd be interested in the data and extra level of potential warning if anything were to go wrong. An in line unit, might be an asset. That said, the idea of another piece of gear or wire strung over the side of my reef, does not sound great to me. Too much gear is nearly as bad as too little. There is a sweet spot and this piece of kit, might just tip that scale.

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... that is genius. I don't know why I never thought of merging the two returns together before. One less tube running up into the tank. I gotta do this!!
Thanks, I can't wait to inform my wife I'm a genius lol! When I initially posted my proposed setup on askbrs I was told by many that it wouldn't work as the two pumps would "fight" each other. Obviously there is some loss of flow but as noted neither runs anywhere near 100%. Two features which help are check valves on each pump which allow one to be turned off without risking back-flow from the other, and the use of a Y instead of a Tee to join the lines significantly reducing turbulence. Ideally a Y which would have a larger diameter on the output side may be ideal however it was difficult enough finding the one I used, and anything larger would have needed to be reduced again to join the tanks return line.

TamaraC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I can't wait to inform my wife I'm a genius lol! When I initially posted my proposed setup on askbrs I was told by many that it wouldn't work as the two pumps would "fight" each other. Obviously there is some loss of flow but as noted neither runs anywhere near 100%. Two features which help are check valves on each pump which allow one to be turned off without risking back-flow from the other, and the use of a Y instead of a Tee to join the lines significantly reducing turbulence. Ideally a Y which would have a larger diameter on the output side may be ideal however it was difficult enough finding the one I used, and anything larger would have needed to be reduced again to join the tanks return line.
Can you post a picture of this? We are trying to figure out the best uv setup for our tank. Thanks!

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine motion measurement: Is there a place in the reef hobby for flow meters?

We measure our lights, many elements of our water parameters, and a range of other things in our reef tanks, however, there seems to be limited focus on flow meters. We often pay attention to the flow capabilities of our pumps when designing our systems, but often do little to measure the actual flow in the pipes or the aquarium. Is there a place in the reef hobby for flow meters?

Pro Tip: Understanding the level of flow can help with coral placement. As importantly, the change in the rate of flow over time can tell you about the need for maintenance on your pump or reef plumbing.

Maroun_Flow.jpeg

Photo by @maroun.c

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tidalgardens.com

TidalGardensBanner1.jpeg

“The goal of Tidal Gardens is to offer the highest quality corals to those seeking a piece of that world without destroying it. We hope to instill a deep appreciation for the natural reefs and help develop a self sustaining hobby that no longer requires the collection of fish and corals.”
I use one to monitor flow through the UV.

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Joe's Coral Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I use a ghl flow meter. I dont care so much about the actual flow. When I'm away I just want something to tell me the return is working and fluid is flowing.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I use a ghl flow meter. I dont care so much about the actual flow. When I'm away I just want something to tell me the return is working and fluid is flowing.

These are nice if you are on their system but too restrictive for anything over 3/4"

They must also be plumbed properly leaving a length of straight PVC before/after the sensor.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back