Marine Pure does release some form of Al into tank

zoasaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like those john gust fitting on the gallon jugs... made or ordered from?
Thanks bough the kit from BRS
The why is because aluminum can be toxic.

The fact that not everyone observes a toxic effect is not surprising with many different husbandry techniques being used on reef tanks, some of which are believed to mitigate aluminum issues.

Most people who smoke do not get lung cancer, but most people still believe that smoking contributes to that disease.
Got it Thank you sir
Have you had an ICP test to see what the levels of Al are? Do you perform water changes or run GFO?

In a closed system, without water changes, aluminium can build up and harm coral. Direct correlations have been drawn from ICP testing showing high Al and the use or Marine Pure.

Perhaps with prolonged and effective rinsing, the use of GFO and water changes, the aluminium doesn't build.
No ICP test(Maybe some day)
No gfo just regulator wc 5g per week
Thanks!

Nickcdll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Randy for your answer. Is there anything Randy that may be not as effective but good to use in its place? i was gonna put the marine pure in my media caddy after reading about all the surface area it has. But theres gotta be something that is similar.....no?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Randy for your answer. Is there anything Randy that may be not as effective but good to use in its place? i was gonna put the marine pure in my media caddy after reading about all the surface area it has. But theres gotta be something that is similar.....no?

What is the purpose? Nitrification? Denitrification?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't claim denitrification, and some people report it doesn't do that, so if it does, it may only do so when in a low flow setting.

Some people like Seachem De-Nitrate, although it too may release aluminum (never seen any study of it).

Personally, I'd keep nitrate in check in other ways than media. Organic carbon dosing or growing macroalgae, for example. :)

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 16 of these blocks in my large sump.. i believe it does NOT do denitrification for the simple reason it is so good a being pouris it does not allow for anaerobic state. To help reduce the flow around some of these blocks I am dropping a 10 gallon tank in my sump and putting the blocks some blocks in the ten gallon tank. By doing this we will see if the reduced flow.. no flow around the sides but just the top with some blocks being stack--those underneath with more reduced flow, will create the anaerobic zone needed to perform denitrification... time will tell. i will post the results...

Nickcdll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just wondering Mr. Farley what are your thoughts on these? I was just basically looking for other things that bacteria can grow on to help with keeping nitrates low. i have about, hmmmm....maybe 30 lbs of dry rock in my tank. Just started cycling it last week. I'm super excited about it. I went with the fishless method as that seems more humane.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/xport-bio-biomedia-cubes-brightwell.html

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My icp test did not show any Al and I have the marine pure spheres in my tank

I think there some variables, including use of GFO (which binds Al), Water changes, use of polyfilter type media, size of system and preparation of the material (ie soaking etc).

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for what is worth.. i reduced my blocks to 12. i keep two 10 gallon tanks in my 300 gallon sump. inside the 10 gallon tanks are 6 blocks. Before this I did not see any reduction in nitrate and still am not sure if they way i have them now they are reducing nitrate. and may in fact be a nitrate factory. I put them in 10 gallon tanks to reduce the flow around them.

As far as aluminium. here are my test results last month from ATI.

Symbol:
Aluminium Al.
Value:
Result:
check.png

Calculated reference value:

5.59.. i believe that to be above natural sea water.
Pollutants stated another way..

Aluminium 5.59 µg/l 0.11 µg/l +5.49 µg/l where i believe 0.11ug/l is natural seawater

HOWEVER>

in my QT frag tank the readings are similar and there are NO MARINE PURE products in that tank

go figure..

Aluminium 5.33 µg/l 0.10 µg/l +5.23 µg/l

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there some variables, including use of GFO (which binds Al), Water changes, use of polyfilter type media, size of system and preparation of the material (ie soaking etc).

Quite true.

It is well worth folks posting whatever results they have, good or bad, but no one should ever assume that because something complicated happens or does not happen in one tank that it will or will not happen in a different tank. There are just too many chemical variables to make such assumptions.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for what is worth.. i reduced my blocks to 12. i keep two 10 gallon tanks in my 300 gallon sump. inside the 10 gallon tanks are 6 blocks. Before this I did not see any reduction in nitrate and still am not sure if they way i have them now they are reducing nitrate. and may in fact be a nitrate factory. I put them in 10 gallon tanks to reduce the flow around them.

As far as aluminium. here are my test results last month from ATI.

Symbol:
Aluminium Al.
Value:
Result:
check.png

Calculated reference value:

5.59.. i believe that to be above natural sea water.
Pollutants stated another way..

Aluminium 5.59 µg/l 0.11 µg/l +5.49 µg/l where i believe 0.11ug/l is natural seawater

HOWEVER>

in my QT frag tank the readings are similar and there are NO MARINE PURE products in that tank

go figure..

Aluminium 5.33 µg/l 0.10 µg/l +5.23 µg/l

5 ug/L is well below the levels that I found to be an issue in my testing. :)

U

User1

View Badges
I am trying one of the Brightwell Aquatics ultra-porous bricks and have been wondering if it is doing something similar to the marine pure blocks and various metals such as zinc. I'm do not believe it is though and now wondering if it is the Oatey's thread sealer I'm using instead of Teflon tape.

First test was just out of curiosity but when I saw some of the elements come back high I figured I'd run a couple water changes and retest to see if it lowered at all. Zinc went down but silicon and aluminium went up. Maybe time to change my RO resin.

upload_2019-2-24_8-19-22.png

Rosh225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ICP test got back today. I have seen reports of people saying Marine Pure block releases some form of Al. It does based on ICP tests before and after placement of marine pure block in sump of my 700 gallon tank. Below is 11-14-2017 test and have several tests before this without reported Al
icp test 11-14-2017.jpg
ICP test today after running marine pure block for 6 weeks.
icp test 1-30-208.jpg

Rosh225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ICP test got back today. I have seen reports of people saying Marine Pure block releases some form of Al. It does based on ICP tests before and after placement of marine pure block in sump of my 700 gallon tank. Below is 11-14-2017 test and have several tests before this without reported Al
icp test 11-14-2017.jpg
ICP test today after running marine pure block for 6 weeks.
icp test 1-30-208.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back