Marine Pure does release some form of Al into tank

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was not a brs video. But what I am asking the ones here that posted saying issues with marine pure. Are we sure it NOT the fakes

BRS has a video showing aluminum release. [emoji3]

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.. my tests are back.. according to Triton.. i have ZERO aluminum... BUT LITHIUM very High...

so if it releasing .. something is picking it up... i do run rowaphos..

I have 14 blocks in my sump.

Here are the test results...

No Aluminum in 800 Reef.JPG

Lithum high triton test.JPG

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some folks use Siporax, but some are now reporting massive amounts of silicate release. Lasse, for example.

I get levels like 17 000 mg/l Si from Siporax in the bottom of my DSB. I use a reverse flow through the DSB. I take away the Siporax in January and in March - it reads 400 mg/l Si. WC 7*50 l during two weeks in a water volume of 350 l (80 gallon DT and 13 gallon sump/refugium) It seems that Siporax only release Si during anaerobic conditions because some experiences from the public aquaria in the Maritim Centre, Gothenburg, indicate this. I test Si at Triton.

According to Marin Pure and Al leakage - could it be the same as for Siporax - No leakage during aerobic condition - only during anaerobic condition?

Sincerely Lasse

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks Randy... Whats your take on the Aluminum being nill. Think the Rowaphos is taking it up?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks Randy... Whats your take on the Aluminum being nill. Think the Rowaphos is taking it up?

It could be (Triton thinks it does). Or it might be that the release is low for any number of reasons, including the blocks being already rinsed free of loose aluminum to it being coated with protective bacteria and organics.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok.. well this just got more interesting.. i also sent a sample to ATI to test my water also

They came back with 7.167 Ug/L Aluminum. Triton showed zero. Hmm... two good companies for testing water and yet two different results.

Ok.. i might be totally reversing my opinion.. i just got another set of test results back on a different tank..

on my 30 gallon frag QT. That has a few pieces of the Blocks.. 4 inches by 4 inches by 2 inches.. i just got ATI results showing.. 117.2 µg/l

Last edited:

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed very high levels of Aluminium from my system using RowaPhos with no other mitigation method, so this is certainly effective at removing Al and its use will limit the amount of Al detected if running Marine Pure blocks.

Every high aluminium question I've seen on the Triton support forum has correlated with either the use of Marine Pure blocks or aluminium based PO4 media.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so if i read correctly.. is .117 that high for aluminum levels?

It’s so hard to judge the toxicity of metals since they can take different forms and be bound to organics, but your level is between a level that was ok in my tests (50 ug/L) and one that was not (500 ug/L).

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s so hard to judge the toxicity of metals since they can take different forms and be bound to organics, but your level is between a level that was ok in my tests (50 ug/L) and one that was not (500 ug/L).

very interesting as i have some weird like stringy stuff growing in the tank and frag's that are STN and going pale. my green plated moniti is going a pale purple.. here is the link to thread involving that issue with pics..
could be though the low DKH in that system.. 3.5 some how.

here is that thread

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/s...ag-qt-help-id-this-stuff.378197/#post-4629726

Nickcdll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi...I know this is a very complex thread with allot of experienced people. I bought marine pure spheres from BRS to use in the sump for my tank, which i just started cycling it this week. I didn't know till a few days ago the controversy surrounding this. I haven't used them yet. Is there something i can use thats similar to this? i'm thinking i should just send them back, i'm more of the better to be safe than sorry type

zoasaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why people so concerned about Marine pure leaking high Al?
I have been used for years no effect to my corals got 2 block in my sump
IMO best is to cycle the block before you put into the already running system therefore you don’t shock the system
I have video of my tank to provide

7E5A73E2-A54E-41BB-8AF1-63169676D0C8.jpeg

Last edited:

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO best is to cycle the block before you put into the already running system therefore you don’t shock the system

7E5A73E2-A54E-41BB-8AF1-63169676D0C8.jpeg

Have you had an ICP test to see what the levels of Al are? Do you perform water changes or run GFO?

In a closed system, without water changes, aluminium can build up and harm coral. Direct correlations have been drawn from ICP testing showing high Al and the use or Marine Pure.

Perhaps with prolonged and effective rinsing, the use of GFO and water changes, the aluminium doesn't build.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The why is because aluminum can be toxic.

The fact that not everyone observes a toxic effect is not surprising with many different husbandry techniques being used on reef tanks, some of which are believed to mitigate aluminum issues.

Most people who smoke do not get lung cancer, but most people still believe that smoking contributes to that disease.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi...I know this is a very complex thread with allot of experienced people. I bought marine pure spheres from BRS to use in the sump for my tank, which i just started cycling it this week. I didn't know till a few days ago the controversy surrounding this. I haven't used them yet. Is there something i can use thats similar to this? i'm thinking i should just send them back, i'm more of the better to be safe than sorry type

Most likely the use will be fine. If you observe a problem with soft corals closing up, I'd remove them.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like those john gust fitting on the gallon jugs... made or ordered from?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back