strange stringy slim growing in frag QT . Help id this stuff

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.. so I tore down and restarted by sps system. Ick ect . story on another thread... so I am QT everything now.. frags included.. i started a 30 long QT frag tank. things were going ok to begin with..

I have this recent growth of stringy almost detritus looking stuff. it does not look like cyno. no green to it. bacteria..?? but nothing is added to this tank.. just top off water..take a look..

frags are not happy..

thoughts... i will get my parameters
growth in frag 3.JPG
posted..

growth in frag tank.JPG

growth in frag tank 2.JPG

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
by the way.. it is easy to brush off. it almost like comes off with just a blast from a turkey baster..

Rek84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems very similar to something that happened to me in the past. There was a clear "slime" coating on the inside glass of the tank, and slimy strings in the tank, just as you described. After a ton of research, I was able to finally determine the root of the problem: someone was using an aerosol "Lysol" type cleaner in the house. Although it wasn't in the room with the tank, the fumes and chemicals would reach the tank, causing this reaction over time, which I believe was bacterial. When we stopped using the aerosol cleaner, the problem went away and has never come back. You might want to look into this to see if this is what is causing your issue as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow... talk about investigative work.. thanks for the input. I had some tropic marin liquid pro coral A elements that was a year old... i added some of that to the tank.. and now that i am typing this .. the issues came about a litlle later... i over dosed..? did add in some additives.. wondering if i overdosed.. bormin iodine lithium ect.. thinking i overdosed with this stuff. i put in 10 ml instead of 1 ml.. dont think i had my glasses on... b

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. I did not overdose. Just got ATI water test back. My DKH is low. But other issue. I have high levels of aluminum. Probably from
The marine pure blocks.

grassy_noel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm...I had similar clearish-white hair/slime develop early on in my tank. Turned out it was a bacterial explosion due to overdosing NoPoX (carbon dosing). Doesn't sound like you're doing this, but just wanted to throw it out there for what it's worth.

If it does happen to be bacterial bloom, I stopped dosing NoPoX, waited a few days and blasted it all off the rocks with a turkey baster and the filter socks grabbed nearly all of it. Took about a week to clear up, then I resumed dosing NoPoX at about half the rate I was before.

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking . Low DKH. And bacteria. Sps frags bleaching and STN. Has arrived at the party.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back