White Tips on SPS Frags Every Morning for Past 15 Days

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Warning: I tried to make this as concise as possible but it is a "long read", so continue only if you have a lot of patience and curiosity!

PROBLEM: For the past 15 days, every morning I wake up to find a white tip that I have to snip, usually on one frag each day. Only once was there STN from the bottom (WD). I had over 70 SPS frags, most were added 5-8 months ago. Most were from R2R Live Sales and in poor condition to start. There has been absolutely NO growth since and most have been a struggle to keep alive. (About 25 have died). I blame a lot of my early problems on the "tin issue" that I wrote about in another thread, but it seemed like I started to see improvement once I got the tin somewhat under control about 1 mo ago. But then, things got worse than ever which is when the current problem started with the sudden white tips. (I’m down to about 45 frags and the tank looks like a bunch of nubs!; photos below) Of course there are a zillion variables and possibilities but hopefully people will comment on some of my "thoughts".

SYSTEM:
-Red Sea Reefer 170
(45 gal). Set up 11 months ago with intention of making it my SPS Frag Q-Tank for my new build (when I move). Also, this tank was intended to be an “experimental” tank, for my first serious attempt with LED’s, for trying out a sand bed (after years of bare-bottom) and to learn the GHL Controller.
-Initially started with artificial rock (never again) but replaced all with 25lb Gulf Rock (month 2) and 25lb Keys rock (month 6). (Lots of “life” came on these rocks!)
-I started with 2 Radon G5 XR15’s but switched to 250w radium w/ 4 T5’s when problems arose around month #6 because of my "comfort level" with halides. (11 hr total w/ 4 to 5 hrs of halide)
-HOB Refugium: Chaeto died 3 times; Added 1 gal Miracle Mud 1 mo ago.
-Octo Regal 150 Skimmer: plumbed to outside air; CO2 Scrubber (controlled by pH)
-Tunze Wavemaker; (2) Echotech MP10’s
-
Changed buffers a few times: Triton CORE 7 >>> jBRS>>>>T.M. Balling >>>>BRS w/Balling
-10-stage BRS RO/DI with booster (6 DI cylinders)
-Complicated assortment of additives (but no more than 1/8 rec dosage: many KZ additives alternated with T.M. A&K Elements and Triton individual Elements (based on ICP tests); Acropower. (But not all at same time)
-LOTS of testing with many kits: Dosed NO3 and PO4 in months 2-4 and PO4 again recently.
-Started with I.O. salt for 2 months>>>Red Sea (1 bucket)>>>>mostly T.M. Pro ; (Going back to my old favorite soon, ESV)
-Bare-bottom at first; Added 3” Carib Sea Oolyte and Special Grade around month #9
-Started dosing with ammonium hydroxide 2 days ago.

LIVESTOCK
-
Lot of fish: Yellow, Kole & Hippo tangs; Melanarus; PJ and Bangaii; (2) Percs; Hector goby
-Lot of snails (incl. Sand-sifters)
-45 SPS frags; Gorgonian and 2 Rose corals from Gulf rock; 2 Favia

PARAMETERS (meticulous calibration and testing)
S.G. 1.026
Alk 7.7-8.0
Ca: 420-440
Mg: 1310-1400
NO3: 5-10 (first 8 mo) then 15-20 (months 9-10) then 20-25 (would like 2-5)
PO4 : 0.03-0.1 (mostly around 0.04-0.06)
pH: 8.20 – 8.40

FACTORS TO CONSIDER (Please give your opinons! Thanks!)
  • Many of you may have seen my thread on my “tin problem” (and are probably sick of hearing about it) so I don’t want to spend time on that. But, nobody will ever convince me that the tin did not have any effect on my frags, at least early on, especially considering these factors: new tank; small tank: new SPS frags. Let’s just keep this in the “back of our minds” for this discussion.
  • Water Changes: Because of the tin, I performed tons of water changes to the point where I started to wonder: “How many changes can one do before having them create a problem?” (in particular, by diluting or flushing out bacteria in the water column). I must have gone through 1000-1200 gal of salt changes in 11 months (for 40 gal total volume tank) because of the tin issue so maybe the equivalent of 25 100% water changes?? I’m sure this was stressful. But water changes have slowed down recently.
  • Added Sand (Month 9): I am mentioning this because it seemed that shortly after this is when the nitrates started to creep up. In the past 2 months I’ve added Matrix and XPort-NO3 and Microbacter 7; and, I started Ammonium hydroxide at 1/3 Randy’s recommended dosage just 2 days ago.
  • Carbon Dosing: I started using BioFuel (Brightwell) 6-8? mo ago when NO3 started to creep up. I can’t say I saw any benefit, but it is hard to know with no control. About 1 month ago, I switched to KZ START and KZ FOOD but recently stopped that. I’m wondering if the carbon dosing is increasing the bacterial population to the point that the bacteria is stealing nutrients away from the corals (which is part of the reason for my recent ammonium dosing). But, I also lowered the height of the skimmer column so there is less skimmate being collected (in case I am removing too much of the bacteria, which probably conflicts with the previous statement! This was recently discussed in a current thread but any additional comments may be helpful! I'm still on the fence as to which way to think about this subject, which brings me to one of my biggest questions: Am I removing too much bacteria (from over-skimming and too many water changes) or am I creating too much bacteria (with carbon dosing) that is competing for ammonia?.
  • PO4 Dosing: It is interesting that I suddenly had to start dosing PO4 again, and this seems to correspond to this 15 day period of “white tips.” (But I’ve been dosing PO4 and have been meticulous with testing and keeping a “good” level (0.04-0.06).
  • Algae: I haven’t had to scrape the glass for over a month! There is some algae but this is definitely a change I’ve noticed. Also, I mentioned that I have been having a problem with growing Chaeto. I’m not sure if it is because of the design of the HOB (flow and light). (One of the many disadvantages of a small than! i.e. need to use a HOB). I drained and removed the refugium today thinking there may be some rotting stuff and to my surprise, some algae was growing! The chaeto was almost completely gone (for the 3d time) but some ulva and gracilaria that I picked up off a beach in NJ (1 mo ago) and a Gulf “fern-like” caulerpa was growing OK. (I added Miracle Mud a month ago and changed refugium lights 5 days ago). (An urchin and emerald crab that had been banished to the refugium were doing fine). Coralline algae is growing well. Before seeing that the algae may not be as bad as I thought, I was thinking that “if macro algae can’t grow than maybe zooxanthellae can’t grow”. The lack of algae on the glass may support this idea.
  • Burnt Tips: Usually one thinks of too much light, Alk swings, low nutrients, or low nutrients in relation to Alk. I doubt it is too much light. 250W halide is on for only 4 hours. (I grew SPS under 400W halides for 25 years at much longer photoperiods). I’m proving that it is hard to keep anything stable in a small tank. (This is my smallest tank since my first 30 gal tank over 50 years ago!) I’ve had my share of fluctuations (of Alk, PO4 and NO3), some being caused by “learning mishaps” with the GHL Controller.
  • ICP Tests: I have run 11 tests since last May on this tank. Other than persistent elevated tin (18, 22, 45.8, 18, 114, 122, 87.3, 14, 50, 4.5, 44.5) there have been no alarming abnormalities (suggesting that my complex trace element dosing is probably not at fault)
  • Many will say that a problem noticed “today” is caused by something that happened a long time ago. I don’t completely “buy” this theory. Although it may be possible, I believe that recent events are just as likely to cause a problem as an event in the past. What is strange here is that I feel like I finally got over the “hump” (with the tin problem) and now I’m having an even bigger problem! (I may be wrong about solving the tin problem and will send out another ICP soon).
Unfortunately, I have a feeling that I am not going to be able to find the solution in time to save my frags. … they are going “downhill” quickly. I have successfully kept SPS for many years in larger systems, and have been a vendor at shows, so I have quite a bit of experience....but am quite baffled now. I'm sure that the tin and this small tank have a lot to do with the problem, but I also suspect there is something more.

Any attempt at helping will be appreciated…….even sympathy! :D

These photos will show the “nubs” that are remaining. I scraped only the front glass for the photos.
Tank a 12.20.20.jpg

Check out the RR Applejacks (by the mouth of the Kole). This coral almost died several times during the first few months but is doing amazingly well now! One of the rare ones not being affected.
Tank b 12.20.20.jpg

This one shows my pathetic little "nubs" up close. The "hairy" one is a Cherry Bomb that is struggling to survive. It use to be red. (The red Tyree Rouge mille to the right is one of the few that have kept it's color). Middle front: remnant of Oregon tort. Most I don't even recognize any more.
tank nubs 12.20.20.jpg

This is an ugly shot....but I just want to show the amount of algae on the glass. I probably haven't scraped it for 6 weeks. (I'm leaving it for the tangs and snails). The Tunze wavemaker was new only 6 wks ago. Lot of coralline since:
tank side 12.20.20.jpg

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if this will help you but I have the same tank, running a Nyos 120 skimmer, passive 3Tbs. of carbon, passive zeolites 2 1/2 c. , shake the bad once a day. I had an auto zeo reactor but was too much for this tank. Easier to shake the bag and change out. Using TM Pro salt doing a 4 g wc weekly and using KZ products, much less than recommended. After wc I dose 1 drop of ZeoBak. During the week a drop of other KZ products, I use sponge power, not zeofood. I dosed ZeoBak and Sponge power daily for 3 months. SPS are growing, colors good, LPS, gorgorian growing along with clam. My no3/po4 read very low though I know there’s some in there, evident from GHA in spots.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont know where to start as you have so many changes going on since startup.
As you know stability is key.
I like to keep things simple so here is what I would do.
Stop the excessive water changes.
Pick your big 3 parameters and keep them stable, along with sg and temp.
Run only your halides for 8 hours.
Not a fan of sand but thats your call.
Stop dosing "all" additives, including trace, carbon, and bacteria.
Run your skimmer wet.
You have alot of algae including bubble from the pics.
Run fluconazole and then do a wc of only 10% when done.
Run carbon in a bag or small reactor 24/7.
Feed only your fish.
Get back to the basics and stick to your set parameters and let the tank self adjust.

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont know where to start as you have so many changes going on since startup.
As you know stability is key.
I like to keep things simple so here is what I would do.
Stop the excessive water changes.
Pick your big 3 parameters and keep them stable, along with sg and temp.
Run only your halides for 8 hours.
Not a fan of sand but thats your call.
Stop dosing "all" additives, including trace, carbon, and bacteria.
Run your skimmer wet.
You have alot of algae including bubble from the pics.
Run fluconazole and then do a wc of only 10% when done.
Run carbon in a bag or small reactor 24/7.
Feed only your fish.
Get back to the basics and stick to your set parameters and let the tank self adjust.
Thanks for your response. Would you mind explaining your reasoning for:
-running only halides? (They have been on for only 4 hrs; don't you think swiching to 8 will be a bit drastic? Curious why you say to eliminate the T5's.
-Reason for wet skimming?
-Are you suggesting stopping the recent ammonium additions?
-Why the fluconazole?
-Why the carbon?

Not doubting you....just trying to understand your reasoning. Thanks for helping!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just trying to get back to a basic understanding of your system as so many changes have been made.

Halides 8 hours for stability.
Dont really need T5's with Halides.
You could run T5's for 8 and turn off Halides.
This is just until your tanks stablizes.⁰

Wet skimming removes more doc's

Dosing ammonium, why? Just one more
change.

Fluconazole to get rid of your algae issue.
I am not a fan of algae in my system. I do not run a fuge either. Just another thing to maintain.

Carbon removes things you can not see or test for.
Its a personel thing as I wont run without it.
Call it insurance if you will.

Do you keep a log?
Without one I could never remember what I did a year ago and probably not a month ago.

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just trying to get back to a basic understanding of your system as so many changes have been made.

Halides 8 hours for stability.
Dont really need T5's with Halides.
You could run T5's for 8 and turn off Halides.
This is just until your tanks stablizes.⁰

Wet skimming removes more doc's

Dosing ammonium, why? Just one more
change.

Fluconazole to get rid of your algae issue.
I am not a fan of algae in my system. I do not run a fuge either. Just another thing to maintain.

Carbon removes things you can not see or test for.
Its a personel thing as I wont run without it.
Call it insurance if you will.

Do you keep a log?
Without one I could never remember what I did a year ago and probably not a month ago.
1) I lowered the halide photoperiod from 5 to 4 thinking they might be getting too much light since the tips were bleaching. Going to 8 hours seems scary, but this is very interesting what you are suggesting. I don't want to dismiss your idea, but I'd be curious to hear what others say about this.

2) What do you think about this question and is your recommendation to lower DOC's related?:
Am I removing too much bacteria (from over-skimming and too many water changes) or am I creating too much bacteria (with carbon dosing) that is competing for ammonia?.

3) I'm on the fence about the ammonium. It is at an extremely low dosage.

4) Are you suggesting getting rid of the bubble algae because it is an eye-sore, or do you think it is harmful? If it is harmful (which would be news to me) then I would consider the flucon. But adding a chemical like this just for cosmetic reasons is something I think I would hold off on until things are more stable, especially since I've been struggling to keep macro alive (and who knows how it affects zooxanthellae).

5) I'm not a fan of carbon but use it on occasion. I agree that it is something to consider when "all else fails"....but it can throw off trace elements and I just did a bunch of water changes. I have used it for short stents (1-2 days) in the past couple of months. I will consider it again, however.

Yes, I keep logs.....foolish not to!

Please don't be offended by my questioning....I just like to get a little further insight into your "thinking." I respect your opinions!

Thanks again!
Jim

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the same boat as you. I ran Vibrant 2 months ago, then Chemiclean, and then Fluconazole afterwards. I just started getting white tips on some of my SPS about 3 weeks ago. They first went pale, then white tips. I know it was probably too much at once for me and it stinks because I cannot pinpoint exactly what caused it. I use TMPR also. I was also thinking it might be my batch of salt. Curious to see what batch your salt is.

20201219_200036.jpg
20201219_120507.jpg
20201219_120501.jpg
20201219_120450.jpg
20201219_120442.jpg
20201219_120428.jpg

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No offence taken. Its all good.

I run halides for 8 hrs and ran 8T5's for 8 hrs before switching.
Check my build thread.

You cant overskim, imo.
I only carbon dose to feed bacteria and the corals. It does keep my no3 at 5-10.
Without it runs 15
I only dose 5ml of a blend of vinegar, sugar, and iron.

Get more fish if you want to dose ammonia.
I have 14 in my 120 and dont feed corals.

I also do not do scheduled water changes. 2-10gal in 1.5 years.

I would have to disagree with the carbon throws off trace element thought.
Carbon also helps with coral warfare.

I dose ez-trace.
I run a carx that only keeps alk and ca stable.
The ez trace keeps mag and k stable.
I dose 6ml a day. It has a few other trace elements in it.

Your rock looks like it has alot of hair algae too.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the same boat as you. I ran Vibrant 2 months ago, then Chemiclean, and then Fluconazole afterwards. I just started getting white tips on some of my SPS about 3 weeks ago. They first went pale, then white tips. I know it was probably too much at once for me and it stinks because I cannot pinpoint exactly what caused it. I use TMPR also. I was also thinking it might be my batch of salt. Curious to see what batch your salt is.

20201219_200036.jpg
20201219_120507.jpg
20201219_120501.jpg
20201219_120450.jpg
20201219_120442.jpg
20201219_120428.jpg
Thats alot of chems back to back to back.
When I ran fluc I had to adjust my carx as alk demand dropped off significantly.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect your po4 and no3 levels are higher than you may think given the amt of algae growth. You've been changing water excessively, yet your nitrates have been rising over the months which seems strange.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20201219_200036.jpg
20201219_120507.jpg
20201219_120501.jpg
20201219_120450.jpg
20201219_120442.jpg
20201219_120428.jpg
Sorry to hear about your problem....and thanks for sharing your story.

I tend to doubt the problem would be the salt..,,,never saw that in over 50 years (that I know of). But I happen to have T.M. serial numbers handy because I recently wrote to them to ask why I was seeing a lot of brown-black crud forming in my (clean) glass mixing tank. The response was "never saw that. Maybe it could be iron precipitating because this salt is high in iron." That bucket was 02224-220 . I finished that bucket a few weeks ago. My new bucket is 02752-143 and doesn't appear to be having the problem.

When this salt is gone, I may go back to my all-time favorite, ESV. (I use to buy that by the pallet when I had a small pet shop in my vet hospital). Only thing is that the alk is a little high for me....around 9....but it shouldn't matter if I go back to daily AWC (which I'm still debating). Wonderful salt mix though!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect your po4 and no3 levels are higher than you may think given the amt of algae growth. You've been changing water excessively, yet your nitrates have been rising over the months which seems strange. Only 4 hr photo period, yet lots of algae.
Sorry to hear about your problem....and thanks for sharing your story.

I tend to doubt the problem would be the salt..,,,never saw that in over 50 years (that I know of). But I happen to have T.M. serial numbers handy because I recently wrote to them to ask why I was seeing a lot of brown-black crud forming in my (clean) glass mixing tank. The response was "never saw that. Maybe it could be iron precipitating because this salt is high in iron." That bucket was 02224-220 . I finished that bucket a few weeks ago. My new bucket is 02752-143 and doesn't appear to be having the problem.

When this salt is gone, I may go back to my all-time favorite, ESV. (I use to buy that by the pallet when I had a small pet shop in my vet hospital). Only thing is that the alk is a little high for me....around 9....but it shouldn't matter if I go back to daily AWC (which I'm still debating). Wonderful salt mix though!
I use esv-b ionic and reducing alk to my level of 7 is quite easy.

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect your po4 and no3 levels are higher than you may think given the amt of algae growth. You've been changing water excessively, yet your nitrates have been rising over the months which seems strange. Only 4 hr photo period, yet lots of algae.
I've been saying that I'm NOT getting much algae growing (except coralline). I haven't scraped the glass in weeks (when I use to mag wipe it every 2-3 days). And macro is struggling. I have some bubble algae but it isn't spreading and I'm not concerned about it UNLESS someone tells me it can be toxic (but I've never heard of that). I'm wondering if whatever is keeping algae from growing might be preventing zooxanthellae from thriving.

I use Hanna P once or twice daily and Salifert NO3 daily. I'm pretty sure my numbers are as accurate as they can be for these type of kits.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you dipped your acros to check for AEFW? Looking at your pics gives me flashbacks to a few years ago when I was dealing with them. Especially your Oregon Tort.

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you dipped your acros to check for AEFW? Looking at your pics gives me flashbacks to a few years ago when I was dealing with them. Especially your Oregon Tort.
I dip everything with CoralX followed by Bayer. (I usually use Interceptor instead of Bayer but didn't have any this past year). I know dips aren't foolproof but I've never seen AEFW attack just the tips and I have a nice operating microscope that I use to examine corals. No bugs.
Thanks for mentioning this possibility, though.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Your first pics show what may be the start of dino and diatoms/algae present.
I would start by as mentioned verifying Phos and nitrate levels. thereafter, lossen this stuff up wit siphoning. Reduce white light intensity and abd add a squirt of peroxide 3% directly to the tank next two nights and see if you get some clearing. DO not dose NoPox or fedd coral -coral foods the next few nights also.

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your first pics show what may be the start of dino and diatoms/algae present.
I would start by as mentioned verifying Phos and nitrate levels. thereafter, lossen this stuff up wit siphoning. Reduce white light intensity and abd add a squirt of peroxide 3% directly to the tank next two nights and see if you get some clearing. DO not dose NoPox or fedd coral -coral foods the next few nights also.
Where do you think you are seeing dinos/diatoms? glass or sand?

Do you think there could be a correlation between them and the SPS tips dying?

The halide is down to 4 hours. Wouldn't you worry that shortening it more could be detrimental to the SPS? (4 blueT5's ramp up and down in 2 stages for total of 11 hrs).

Thank you for the suggestions.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been saying that I'm NOT getting much algae growing (except coralline).

Your entire tank looks a shade of golden brown and green. An algae free/controlled system will have white sand and nice clean purple rocks. Your rocks should look like your overflow.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good lord! That tank is wayyyy overstocked in fish AND corals. Algae everywhere, bubble algae rampant.... reduce your bio load and start cleaning.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back