First acro frag problem :(

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your alkalinity is fine and you should turn the light up to 60% and keep increasing it gradually. If the max output of 55watts is correct for that light, that means you’re looking at about 350-400 PAR at the most from the distance of about 14” is what I guess. Now let’s say it’s 350 and you’re turned down to 40%, so that means your PAR would be about 140 max but it’s probably closer to 125-130 which is not enough light for an Acropora that looks like it should be blue or purple.

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this PAR map someone made is correct for that light at 100% output, that means output is lower than I calculated and the Acro was in closer to 100 PAR. It’s gonna have to be near the top at 100% output for sure.
D1DAE3C9-97CC-4545-8BDF-775525253E8B.png

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to recommend chemicals but look into lowering your alk with acid. Just be careful you dont want swings of to great a number. I think the water change route is better but you will also lower your already low nutrients. Which is why I said that.
Maybe there is other consumption that can lower it n naturally(??) Or small acid doses to lower it slowly, don't stress a already stressed frag. I would move it to less light immediately, before changing anything.
And I wouldn't put acid in the same category of "chemicals" as stuff to kill things.. there is a unavoidable chemistry side of our tanks. I personally was shocked as I learn the chemicals used in the tank

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe there is other consumption that can lower it n naturally(??) Or small acid doses to lower it slowly, don't stress a already stressed frag. I would move it to less light immediately, before changing anything.
And I wouldn't put acid in the same category of "chemicals" as stuff to kill things.. there is a unavoidable chemistry side of our tanks. I personally was shocked as I learn the chemicals used in the tank
Back in the day I was too. My reefer buddy was a big fan of @Randy Holmes-Farley diy recipes and ways of dosing chemicals. I was like You put what! in your tank?

OP
OP
G

Gavin Noy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. The darker coloration would be from lower par. The white tips are the issue and since seeing what the frag was when you got it I believe its alk burn.
I will do a water change a day for a few weeks i have been working on trying to lower my Alk but the tank has ran high for ages. Like i said before i do a litre every other day so i will up that. Ill use the reef roids a bit more to keep my nitrates and phos up.

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the low par cause this white tip issue?
It’s possible, but not necessarily overnight or as the sole reason, but it’s usually a combination of things that cause necrosis and it seems like flow is pretty low in there, but I can’t tell by the pictures exactly. The tissue loss in that way makes me think of low flow more than light, but the combination of weakness from not enough light plus low flow seems more likely than anything. High alk burn would be the very tips only in most cases, low alk or bacterial infection would be tissue loss from the base up more often. Too much flow and one side is worse. Low flow is all over a bit more evenly like I see here. Just what my eyes tell me right now.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this PAR map someone made is correct for that light at 100% output, that means output is lower than I calculated and the Acro was in closer to 100 PAR. It’s gonna have to be near the top at 100% output for sure.
D1DAE3C9-97CC-4545-8BDF-775525253E8B.png
You saw the part about this frag being in the tank only a couple days? And the before/ after pics of said frag?

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You saw the part about this frag being in the tank only a couple days? And the before/ after pics of said frag?
So it’s been two weeks in the tank with not even close to enough light, there’s definitely not enough flow and I would like to see one credible account of “alkalinity burn” at 11 dKH because I’ve never seen or heard of that happening. Is there anyone who thinks 125 PAR will keep your Acropora alive?

OP
OP
G

Gavin Noy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it’s been two weeks in the tank with not even close to enough light, there’s definitely not enough flow and I would like to see one credible account of “alkalinity burn” at 11 dKH because I’ve never seen or heard of that happening. Is there anyone who thinks 125 PAR will keep your Acropora alive?
So lowering the light and flow will make things worse. What is the best way to go though? Nuke it in flow and light or reduce it first. Some are saying less. I have no idea what to do first.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your light is very low. I have AI16 on a 15 gallon softie tank and the light is at 70% for zoa's and mushrooms. You need much more than 40% for sps corals.

I would also increase the flow.

And I got to say I would add much more rock, the tank looks empty, no hiding spots for fish, not much rock to mount corals, and more also rock will break up the flow more.

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re sitting at about 45x turnover right now with 30% flow on that Nova which would put you at the very low end of range for SPS.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back