Marine pure...should I ditch it?

TRPlacek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been struggling to get a nitrate reading for some time now, although I just recently registered .5 ppm but only because I have been over feeding and will not always be able to feed as much and as consistent as I have been. So I'm wondering if I should now ditch the marine pure and if this would have any affect on my nitrate level. Only other things I run for nutrient export now other than marine pure are a refugium with chaeto and live rock and a skimmer rated for double my tank volume. Also I want to stay away from having to dose nitrates so when I go out of town my wife has less to worry about. Tank has been running 1.5 years. Should I take the marine pure out?

Opinions please?

OP
OP
TRPlacek

TRPlacek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply Randy! I'm happy when my decision is made easy. I was already leaning towards removing it but just needed that extra push.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your system?
I am 180 gallons and right now I am using one of the big blocks and waiting on the second...
That stuff is awesome, I will always use it..

OP
OP
TRPlacek

TRPlacek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your system?
I am 180 gallons and right now I am using one of the big blocks and waiting on the second...
That stuff is awesome, I will always use it..
90 gallon with 20 gallon sump. I also had the big block but I also have plenty of live rock as well. When I first got it i didn't test for nutrients and I still thought 0 nitrate and 0 phosphate was the goal. I never really had bad algae issues but I figured what could it hurt to bring down my nitrates even more. Well a couple months after adding it and a larger skimmer my coral started paling in color and it took me a long while to realize it was the low nutrients and have been trying to go back to "basics" when my coral was thriving.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 66 45.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 46 31.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 21 14.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back