marine pure spheres question

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fredrxn
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Fredrxn

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 5, 2021
Messages
685
Reaction score
190
Location
Broadview heights, OH
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys i been reading alot about marine pure spheres leeching stuff into water is it true? Are they not safe to use in a reef tank? Thanks
 
I’ve been using marine pure for 2 years now. I do regular ICP tests. I have a slight elevated aluminum level. I continue to use them.
 
I don't know for sure if they leach anything or not, I've never used them because I think they are expensive for what they are and supposedly do. You can accomplish the same thing with rock, rock rubble, or any number of other biomedia, including things like inexpensive plastic pot scrubbies from the dollar store, or plastic shotgun wadding.
 
I mixed some in with my rock rubble in my fuge 4 years ago. Haven't seen any significant issues with my regular ICP tests.
 
I had an ICP test done and the levels were off the chart. I had a marine pure block 1“ x 8“ in my sump. I took it out and currently have it in my QT tank and I sent off for another ICP test. I’ll see what happened with the levels after it was removed.
 
I mixed some in with my rock rubble in my fuge 4 years ago. Haven't seen any significant issues with my regular ICP tests.
When are they exhausted and need to be changed out, when they crumble? (Varies by tank I realize but more curious if you have some of the same ones in sump from 4 years ago).
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new