Marine test kit by hanna is not it.

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont get this kit. Following the instructions to the tea, i even use hanna “distilled” theit expensive distilled water, to get accurate results, and i still dont get accurate results. My alk for a while was testing 7.9 my nyos salt is 8.0. Did a water change yesterday 44 gallons, on my 200G. And now my alk says 7.4-7.5 tested, and rinsed so many times, 2 different regeant alk bottle.

My salinity is 1.025, verified by hanna, and milwaukee. Im just irritated by the inconsistency of the device. Why would my alk drop that much. I dont even have that much corals. And my tank is 3 months old. Unless by connecting a co2 scrubber the alk dropped to buffer the PH? I dont know need some insight here

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how are you using distilled water for the alk test? The distilled water use is with the calcium test, not the alk test
I use distilled water to rinse the vial. Hanna told me not to rinse the vials with rodi, or the tanks water. So i use their hanna distilled brand

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh, I didn't know that lol, I always rinse with rodi.

Check this video out, its only 3 minutes, and its one of the best videos in my opinion, shows good tips to get accurate results with the alk test.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS - if you ever have to buy distilled water again, get it from the grocery store or from walmart, it should not cost more than $3-$4 for a one gallon bottle.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont get this kit. Following the instructions to the tea, i even use hanna “distilled” theit expensive distilled water, to get accurate results, and i still dont get accurate results. My alk for a while was testing 7.9 my nyos salt is 8.0. Did a water change yesterday 44 gallons, on my 200G. And now my alk says 7.4-7.5 tested, and rinsed so many times, 2 different regeant alk bottle.

My salinity is 1.025, verified by hanna, and milwaukee. Im just irritated by the inconsistency of the device. Why would my alk drop that much. I dont even have that much corals. And my tank is 3 months old. Unless by connecting a co2 scrubber the alk dropped to buffer the PH? I dont know need some insight here
Is this the new bluetooth marine master kit?
Screenshot_20231015-102332.png

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS - if you ever have to buy distilled water again, get it from the grocery store or from walmart, it should not cost more than $3-$4 for a one gallon bottle.
$3-4$ for a gallon of distilled or spring water :face-in-clouds:
Max $1.50. I get mine for .88c lol
Another idea is to order water from Deer Park

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$3-4$ for a gallon of distilled or spring water :face-in-clouds:
Max $1.50. I get mine for .88c lol
Another idea is to order water from Deer Park
Hanna said from the grocey store they still might contain calcium, the calcium test is highly sensitive even 0.1 calcium can set it off, and i tested that with their distilled, and grocey store distilled

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna said from the grocey store they still might contain calcium, the calcium test is highly sensitive even 0.1 calcium can set it off, and i tested that with their distilled, and grocey store distilled
But is that a big factor here though? Your testing Alk from saltwater tank that has calcium 380-450 ppm. All aquatic test will have an error of .1 or .2 regardless if I’m not mistaken

Your salt is balanced at 8.0, you gotten a reading of 7.9 then a reading of 7.4 after water change. Your in that range of error for water monitoring.

What’s your calcium levels at?

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But is that a big factor here though? Your testing Alk from saltwater tank that has calcium 380-450 ppm. All aquatic test will have an error of .1 or .2 regardless if I’m not mistaken

Your salt is balanced at 8.0, you gotten a reading of 7.9 then a reading of 7.4 after water change. Your in that range of error for water monitoring.

What’s your calcium levels at?
Hanna shows 411. My bucket of salt is 437 nyos

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

If you go to the Hanna website, the accuracy of the test is +- 0.3 DKH. In other words your 7.9 reading could really be as high as 8.2 and as low as 7.6. You alk of 7.4 could be as high as 7.7 and as low as 7.1.

All of those readings are perfectly fine for a tank (Though some people want a higher alkalinity). When I have used these kits, I rinse the cuvette with RODI after use - but before doing a test - I rinse with tank water.

Lastly - are you checking your alkalinity at the same time of day each time? This can be an issue as well.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go to the Hanna website, the accuracy of the test is +- 0.3 DKH. In other words your 7.9 reading could really be as high as 8.2 and as low as 7.6. You alk of 7.4 could be as high as 7.7 and as low as 7.1.

All of those readings are perfectly fine for a tank (Though some people want a higher alkalinity). When I have used these kits, I rinse the cuvette with RODI after use - but before doing a test - I rinse with tank water.

Lastly - are you checking your alkalinity at the same time of day each time? This can be an issue as well.
I dont check the time of the day when i do it to be honest with you. Ill have to check on that. How do i confirm my alk, before dosing thats the question. Ideally i want to be at 8.0 or above

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I dont check the time of the day when i do it to be honest with you. Ill have to check on that. How do i confirm my alk, before dosing thats the question. Ideally i want to be at 8.0 or above
The problem with any 'test' is that it's going to have an error potentially. If you want your alkalinity at 8 or above - I would use your test and a dosing calculator - and then slowly try to increase it - until - on average - its 8.3 or so - that will somewhat ensure (assuming your equipment is working correctly) that your alkalinity is 8.0 - 8.6. Or aim for 8 - realizing that if your alkalinity is 7.7 or 8.3, the real value may be 8

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with any 'test' is that it's going to have an error potentially. If you want your alkalinity at 8 or above - I would use your test and a dosing calculator - and then slowly try to increase it - until - on average - its 8.3 or so - that will somewhat ensure (assuming your equipment is working correctly) that your alkalinity is 8.0 - 8.6. Or aim for 8 - realizing that if your alkalinity is 7.7 or 8.3, the real value may be 8

It says 1230 for mag, 7.3 alk. Didnt bother with calcium, because the whole thing is not accurate for me. Ordered salifret to confirm

IMG_6745.jpeg

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sucks to have to ask, did you calibrate it correctly before taking these test? Also why not just take a sample to a LFS that does electronic testing instead of purchasing nonreturnable water test
Salfiret test kit price$$ vs gas to LFS price$ I mean….. hey, the tank or corals aren’t going anywhere

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sucks to have to ask, did you calibrate it correctly before taking these test? Also why not just take a sample to a LFS that does electronic testing instead of purchasing nonreturnable water test
U cant calibrate this machine first. Only hanna can calibrate them. Second those electronic testing machines at the LFS are meant for pools, and not made for our hobby. And they are 99% inaccurate

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability is the key here. As you said, right now you don't have many corals so you will almost surely be fine with alk around 8 (even if it's closer to 7 on some tests). Don't overthink your parameters too much... "Close enough" is almost always good enough ;)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back