Marine velvet

Greg1025

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some advice on how to proceed.My tank has been running for 4 months now and about 3 weeks ago I introduced a yellow tang to my tank. A few days later I noticed white spots. I assumed it was ick. I installed a uv sterilizer and the next day the ick was gone. A few days later I noticed my hippo tang laying on its side but still breathing. Hippo died that night. I monitored the rest of the fish looking for signs of ick and I couldn't spot any. From what I've been reading you can control ick in your tank but it will always be there.

Last weekend I added another Hippo and noticed it on its side last night. I don't have a qt tank so I figured the only thing I can do is a freshwater dip. Afterwards I looked at my other fish and found my royal Gramma had a few whit spots but looked like he had powdery coat on him. As I was feeding the fish he kept swimming into sand bed. I am assuming he was scratching himself. Did some research and sounds like marine velvet. This morning Dorie 2.0 is still laying on its side breathing but don't think she will make it.

I have also had added some coral so I think I might of introduced it through a coral. Not really sure but now I am at a stomp. Not sure how to proceed.

I have a sick dying Hippo and Gramma that is infested. I still have 2 clown, a yellow tang and a Naso tang. Have some inverts and corals.

Should I quarantine the fish in another tank? Do I even have time to set up a QT? Is so what do I do about my DT? Any advise would really be appreciated.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet, if that's what it is, is a real killer. All fish would need to go into a hospital tank and be treated with with copper.

Your display can just sit fallow (fishless) for 6 weeks.

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First priority would be getting the fish into a hospital tank and dosed in copper right away

Second priority ammonia badge and possible water changes if it gets to high . This is easy in a small hospital tank. ammonia will spike fast but also can be reduced fast. YOu can also soak a bag of media in your display tank for beneficial bacteria and add that to your hospital tank.

That would be a good start ! Good luck man Velvet is the worst ......... I ran into this my first year I lost 9 of my 12 fish and the other 3 that survived I finished off not knowing that adding prime and copper together is lethal

So do not mix any ammnonia reducing products while dosing copper FYI

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need to cycle the QT tank?
It sure makes things easier to have a cycled QT ready, but that's not always possible for everyone.

You'll have to have media from a cycled tank ready to go, or deal with ammonia with water changes.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back