Marineland I believe stand strong enough for 180 ?

NDDELALLO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all recently picked up a reef ready 180 marineland tank and stand curious if anyone is using this same stand and trust it to hold this weight seems to me a little thin to hold this kind of weight thanks guys !?

IMG_2362.JPG

David Mc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much different than the stand that came under my 240 gallon.

I had it set up for more that 10 years with that stand. finally built a new one as the original was too low for my skimmer
oldstand.jpg

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much different than the stand that came under my 240 gallon.

I had it set up for more that 10 years with that stand. finally built a new one as the original was too low for my skimmer
oldstand.jpg
I would say that those two stands are very different.
David MC, your stand has a rim that is sitting completely on top of all of the side panels. This will evenly transfer the load down on all sides to the bottom.
NDDELALLO, from what it looks like in the picture, the rim that the tank will sit on is completely unsupported beneath it. I cant say that it wont hold it, but I do not think I would sleep very well at night with that in my house.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's the AGA/ Aqueon pine stand they've been making for years. They say it will support one. ( in the old days, I think they told you one had to use it in order for them to honor the aquarium warranty should something happen)

https://www.aqueonproducts.com/products/furniture/pine-aquarium-stands

Though I agree with ryan115 it's not directly supported under the base where the aquarium will sit. It would make me uncomfortable without some modification.

Admittedly I used their 90 version for a couple years when I had a 90

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Despite worrying many hobbyists we hear about true stand failures very rarely or never. I don't think in years and years of watching forums I have ever seen a legit stand failure from a stand that wasn't treated horribly. (I can't even remember hearing of any from poorly treated stands - maybe 1 or 2). With the thousands and thousands of stands and tanks they make a year if there was a problem we would sure hear about it as would they from lawsuits. A tank leaking is one thing, but stand failure could kill people, but they just don't happen because most are engineered quite well for the tanks they were designed with despite not appearing so to our eyes.

I actually have the cheaper marineland black stands under my 120 and 180. Because my tanks are rimless I added plywood on the top with foam after removing the 3 cross braces. I have never questioned their ability to support the tanks. And my 120 is 3/4" glass so it's very heavy.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bigger problem with these stock stands that has already been pointed out is they aren't tall enough for many skimmers and other equipment. They also have the stand sitting very low and depending on how you view the tank it might be too low. While these stands appear cheaply made a lot of times for tank warranties they have to be on these stands. A homemade stand by someone with anywhere between 0-moderate skill is possible with 2x4 or 2x6 because there is so much margin for error. They are overbuilt to compensate for that and because 2x wood is the cheapest material.

OP
OP
NDDELALLO

NDDELALLO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for the info think I'm going to add a couple 2x4s in each corner just for piece of mind was holding the tank when I got it as it was a used good deal just felt as if it looked a little flimsy thanks again all!!!!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 131 74.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back